Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

About Live-In-Self-Certification Form SOC 2298

As the others mentioned, if you fill out the certification, your W-2 (if any) will be correct, and you won't need to fiddle around on the tax return trying to make it right.  So it will be easier if you fill out the certification.

But if you do get a W2 you need to show it on your tax return and enter an offsetting amount to zero it out.  Or the IRS will think you didn't report the W2.

I'm confused,  because I was told by a social worker that if you fill out the form, you can't count that money on your taxes. So if it's your on source of income,  you don't have to fill taxes. But this sounds incorrect to me, and I can't seem to get a straight answer from CDSS.

Youre understanding correctly.   Once you fill out the self certification, you will no longer receive a W2 to claim that income on your taxes.
This is how people were removing the income from their tax returns before the self certification started.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/individuals/certain-medicaid-waiver-payments-may-be-excludable-from-income">http...>
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
linnasok

I don't quite understand what happens to the tax I paid then?  This didn't come into effect until 12/2016, so fed and state has been deducted throughout the year.  So I submit my form now 1/2017 and I don't include ihss income for my 2016 tax filing -ok but does that mean I don't get my tax from that neither?! I select 1 on my W4 withholdings expecting to get it back... What do I do now??

If you did not have file the certification for the entire year, you will still receive a W-2 that will include your withheld income tax.  You should be able to tell TurboTax it is not taxable, but you will still receive credit for the income tax that was withheld, and it will be added to your refund.
johncharr

Can i still claim my 3 year old daughter tax return ? With the ihss even if I live with my recipient for this last time?
mbarge

I submitted SOC Live-In- Self Certification Form 2298 back in November 2016.  I received a W2 last friday that included my withheld taxes for the entire year of 2016, so on what line do I tell TurboTax to excluded my IHSS income?

Enter the W2 as normal wages on line 7.  

Then make an entry on 1040 line 21 Other Income to offiset it by going to
Federal Taxes
Wages and Income
Choose Jump to Full List -or  I'll choose what I work on
Scroll way down to the end  - Less Common Income
Click start or update next to the last one "miscellaneous income"
Then the last one for Other Reportable Income
For description enter “Notice 2014-7” . Enter the amount with a minus sign (-) in front of it.

Thank you
mbarge

Thanks everyone.  I went to a CPA this year for the first year time in my life.  He did it exactly how everyone said, report it on line 7 and back it out on line 21 with a minus sign (-).  I didn't want to hear from the IRS so I took the plunge this time and went this person who is both - a CPA and an IRS Enrolled Agent.   I will be back with Turbotax next year.

I was taxed for the whole year of 2016 and had my federal and state taxes withheld. In order to get it back, like others have stated, I have to report the amount on line 21 of the 1040 form. But what amount do i report??-- The amount of federal income tax withheld,the amount of state income tax withheld, or both these amounts?? sorry I am confused.

No not like that.  You enter the W2 as normal on line 7.  Then you enter the amount in box 1 on line 21 with a - minus sign which will offset line 7.

I'll go look for a longer full answer I've posted before.

There are a couple ways to enter a W2 for IHSS wages.

1. Enter the W2 as normal wages on line 7.  

Then make an entry on 1040 line 21 Other Income to offiset it by going to
Federal Taxes
Wages and Income
Choose Jump to Full List -or  I'll choose what I work on
Scroll way down to the end  - Less Common Income
Click start or update next to the last one "miscellaneous income"
Then the last one for Other Reportable Income
For description enter “Notice 2014-7” . Enter the amount with a minus sign (-) in front of it.

2.  Or when you enter the W2 it gives you the EIC credit for it (which would be wrong) see this FAQ
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2635384-qualified-medicaid-waiver-payments-on-a-w-2-show-as-earned...

So you either completely exclude the W2 from your return or enter it under Miscellaneous Income.   To enter it as Misc Income use the same steps as above and you will make 2 entries.

Your first entry description would be W-2 EIN # (enter EIN number from W-2) Box 1 Medicaid Waiver Payments, and enter the Box 1 amount as a positive number.

Next you click "Add Another Miscellaneous Income Item," and enter this description: IRS Notice 2014-7 excludable income and enter the W-2 Box 1 amount as a Negative (-) number. This both shows and explains removing the W-2 income, placing a zero on Line 21 of your Form 1040.

Then if your W-2 has federal or state taxes withheld, you can enter these amounts in the Deductions & Credits section under Estimates and Other Taxes Paid, or Other Income Taxes Paid as Withholding not already entered on W-2.

okay I did it the way you mentioned in post 1, But I got this error message in turbo tax and it says my federal and state taxes were rejected

Heres the error message: Form 1040, Line 64 'WithholdingTaxAmt' must be less than the sum of the following: [Line 7 'WagesSalariesAndTipsAmt' and Line 8a 'TaxableInterestAmt' and Line 9a 'OrdinaryDividendsAmt' and (Line 15a 'IRADistributionsAmt' or Line 15b 'TaxableIRAAmt') and (Line 16a 'PensionsAnnuitiesAmt' or Line 16b 'TotalTaxablePensionsAmt' ) and Line 19 'UnemploymentCompAmt' and Line 20a 'SocSecBnftAmt' and ( all 'OtherIncomeAmt' in [OtherIncomeTypeStatement] attached to Line 21 ) and ( all Schedule C (Form 1040), Line 1 'TotalGrossReceiptsAmt' ) and ( all Schedule C-EZ(Form 1040), Line 1 'TotalGrossReceiptsAmt' ) ] unless one of the following is true: (1) Line 13 'CapitalGainLossAmt' has a non-zero value; (2) Line 14 'OtherGainLossAmt' has a non-zero value; (3) Line 17 'RentalRealEstateIncomeLossAmt' has a non-zero value; (4) Line 18 'NetFarmProfitLossAmt' has a non-zero value; (5) Combat Pay has been excluded from wages.
Reject Code F1040-071-03.

Do you know what this means?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies