Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

toledo650

About Live-In-Self-Certification Form SOC 2298

I received a letter from IHSS saying that providers who live with the recipient of those services are not considered part of gross income for purpose of federal income tax. If I submit the Live-In-Self-Certification Form ( SOC 2298 ), will I have to deal with the taxes at the end of the year like a deferred tax payment or is it totally excluded from filing the income tax? Is it best to submit the form or just file the income tax like we normally do every year?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

43 Replies

I just had a client bring one of these in a few weeks ago.....from reading it, I'm guessing once you self certify they will no longer send you the W2 to report the wages and make the adjustment on the tax return.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Is it for California?  Depending on if you get a W2 there are different ways to enter it.  And have you been excluding the income from your tax returns?  I just amended 3 years of my sister's return to take off the IHSS income that she got W2 for.

In my case, I get IHSS in California for my child who lives with me (my pay-stub shows zero deductions in all categories)   IHSS is not my only income, and I qualify for the child-tax credit based on other sources of income.   I recently received notice from DSS that my IHSS wages are not considered part of gross income for both Federal and State Tax Purposes.  As a result, I filled out the SOC Form 2298.   I just completed my taxes without even waiting to see if I get a W2 from IHSS (I don't expect I will) .    However, if I do get a W2 from IHSS I'll just ignore it until I get a notice from the IRS asking about it.  At that point, that letter from DSS and IRS Notice 2014-7 is all the documentation I will need to show the IRS that my taxes were filed correctly.
linnasok

I don't quite understand what happens to the tax I paid then?  This didn't come into effect until 12/2016, so fed and state has been deducted throughout the year.  So I submit my form now 1/2017 and I don't include ihss income for my 2016 tax filing -ok but does that mean I don't get my tax from that neither?! I select 1 on my W4 withholdings expecting to get it back... What do I do now??
linnasok

I don't quite understand what happens to the tax I paid then?  This didn't come into effect until 12/2016, so fed and state has been deducted throughout the year.  So I submit my form now 1/2017 and I don't include ihss income for my 2016 tax filing -ok but does that mean I don't get my tax from that neither?! I select 1 on my W4 withholdings expecting to get it back... What do I do now??
linnasok

**Update 1/25/17......I received a W2 for 2016 even though I filled out a SOC form 2298 in December....since I assumed I would not get one (wrong)  I completed my taxes last week and they were already approved (both Federal and State).   At this point, I will just leave my taxes as they are and will wait to see if I hear anything from the IRS why I left out the IHSS W2........but I am not re-doing my taxes at this point.

You filled it out December?  Dec 2015 or 2016?  Was the W2 for the whole year?  Or just until  they processed the 2298?

The self certification is for 2017 going forward...so you will still get the 2016 W2.  They failed to include that information on any of the self certification paperwork.

VolvoGirl:I filled it out in December 2016......Lisa995: Thanks for the info.....hopefully leaving out the W2 from my taxes won't be an issue with the IRS : )

You may get a computer "mismatch" letter, Notice CP2000 in the next year or 2....just respond with the explanation that you qualify for the income to be non taxable and cite Notice 2014-7 and it should get cleared up fairly easily.

Lisa995: Thanks for the heads up!

I filled out the SOC 2298 in Nov 2016 and just received my Jan pay stub. It still shows that they are withholding Federal and state taxes. Is this right?

banannamouse: You may need to modify your W4 so that you don't have any income with-held.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies