Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

$500 child tax credit and the $500 credit for the Stimulus payment

When I filled out the forms to file my taxes I was told that I could no longer get the $500 deduction for my son. Now I understand that I should be able to get $500 for the stimulus payment, but I have to fill out a form, which I cannot find anywhere. My son is 20 years old and suffers from mental illness, so far he has not been able to work' and I am supporting him 100%. He is being seen by Psychiatrists and psychologists. What do I do and where can I find the forms necessary? I did'nt get the deduction on my taxes. What is the difference between the stimulus package and the tax deduction?

2 Replies
Expert Alumni

$500 child tax credit and the $500 credit for the Stimulus payment

From the information we currently have, your son does not qualify for you to receive an additional $500 for a Stimulus Payment.


Since he does not work and you are supporting him 100%, you can claim him as a dependent on your tax return and receive a $500 credit.


If you have already filed your 2019 return, you can amend it and include him as a dependent on your return.


How to Amend your 2019 tax return using TurboTax


Rules for Claiming a Dependent on Your Tax Return



**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 15

$500 child tax credit and the $500 credit for the Stimulus payment

You can claim him as a dependent, on your tax return, and receive a $500 "other dependent" credit.  Because he is over 16, you do not get the more generous "Child tax credit" (up to $2000), even though he is disabled. That $500 tax credit is "non refundable". That is, It can only be used to reduce your tax liability.  If you tax is already at 0, you don't get any of the $500 credit.


Only children under 17 (essentially those that who qualify for the Child tax credit and not the other dependent credit) are eligible for the $500 stimulus. 

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies