turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MK_556

Canadian income only - T4 filing as Resident due to Significant presence and L1 Visa. How do I file taxes only for the number of days in the US?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Canadian income only - T4 filing as Resident due to Significant presence and L1 Visa. How do I file taxes only for the number of days in the US?

Since you were present on Jan 1, 2017 and meet the SPT, you are a resident alien for the entire year.

AS such you are required to report all worldwide income for the entire year.

If you had foreign income, you can use the foreign paid tax credit to avoid double taxation. Foreign Earned Income is only income earned while physically abroad.

If you are not in the US anymore and left before Dec 31, 2017, you could apply for an early residency termination date and file as dual-status alien, but that kind of return is not supported by Turbotax.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf

View solution in original post

9 Replies

from when to when were you in the US?
MK_556

225 days in 2017

from when to when?
MK_556

it's not that simple it was a month or two in the US and then 5 weeks in Canada - back and forth all year... (225 days in the US) I have offices and can work from both locations.

when was your first day of entry into the US? Were you in the US in 2016 and/or 2015?
MK_556

I was here both in 2015 and 2016 but not as much... only 3-4 months in 2016 and 1-2 months in 2015

so when was your first day of entry in 2017?
MK_556

Jan 1, 2017

Since you were present on Jan 1, 2017 and meet the SPT, you are a resident alien for the entire year.

AS such you are required to report all worldwide income for the entire year.

If you had foreign income, you can use the foreign paid tax credit to avoid double taxation. Foreign Earned Income is only income earned while physically abroad.

If you are not in the US anymore and left before Dec 31, 2017, you could apply for an early residency termination date and file as dual-status alien, but that kind of return is not supported by Turbotax.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies