Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Captbdj22

WV state taxes

I completed my WV taxes using intuit. It does not appear to be correct.  I thought this tax year I could deduct 35% of my social security benefit.  It appears I was only given the 15% the federal gov’t gives.  How do I fix this if I was not given the proper deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

WV state taxes

According to the instructions West Virginia Form IT-140 (page 22, Line 43 section):

"Social security benefits that are taxable on your federal return are also taxable to West Virginia...."

In other words, if your income level causes some portion of your social security to be taxed on your federal Form 1040, you'll be taxed on that same amount of social security in WV.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Captbdj22

WV state taxes

I am still confused.  Gov Justice signed in to law that beginning with 2019 taxes some social security would not be taxed in WV.  It is to be phased in over 3 years.  For 2019 it is 35% of the benefit not taxed.  The only qualifier I found was the $8000 senior citizen deduction.  If one qualified for it  one may not be eligible for the 35% SS deduction.  I did not qualify for the 8,000 income deduction so I thought I was eligible for the new WV 35% deduction in social security.  I thought I would get the full 35% instead of just the 15%.  BTW the answer I received quoted the 2018 income tax booklet

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

WV state taxes

The new law in WV starts with tax year 2020.  Here is the applicable news article

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies