turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My royalty income should be sourced in Oklahoma, but Turbo Tax has sourced it in California (my residence) How do I correct my California return. Oklahoma has already fixed it for me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

My royalty income should be sourced in Oklahoma, but Turbo Tax has sourced it in California (my residence) How do I correct my California return. Oklahoma has already fixed it for me.

It's taxed in both.  While the royalties are not "California-sourced" income as such, California is allowed to tax all of your income because it is your resident state.  You won't be able to remove the income from the California return.  However, to limit the effect of double-taxation, you will receive a credit on your California return for the taxes you pay to Oklahoma on this same income.  But the royalties will be included in California taxable income, because you live there.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It's taxed in both.  While the royalties are not "California-sourced" income as such, California is allowed to tax all of your income because it is your resident state.  You won't be able to remove the income from the California return.  However, to limit the effect of double-taxation, you will receive a credit on your California return for the taxes you pay to Oklahoma on this same income.  But the royalties will be included in California taxable income, because you live there.

Thank you. So I need to apply for a credit on my California return. Oklahoma had amended my return for me and adjusted my refund. I guess I can manually file in California for what I had to pay to Oklahoma
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

What you will file in California will be the actual tax liability to Oklahoma, but yes, you have the right idea.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies