bforlizzi

Went to school in NC and worked there part time

my main residence in NJ and I attend college in NC and worked a part time job in NC. When filing a NC state tax return the questions asks Did I make money in NC but did not live there, do I answer yes or no?

SteamTrain

Yes...you did not move there.  Make sure you are filing an NC non-resident tax return.

For tax purposes, you did not become an NC resident.

I can see how that question would be confusing to a college student who is from another state. AS a dependent of your parents, you are only in NC temporarily, and you are not in NC to become a resident ...at least not until you graduate and are completely independent from your parents. 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

SteamTrain

rwabbit69

Thank you