Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Transferring Last Year's Info using the CD

I have used Turbotax for 10 years.  I always use the CD.  This year, TurboTax could NOT locate last year's return?  Why?

I ended up having to start all over from scratch entering all my information.  PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY THIS YEAR TURBOTAX CD COULD NOT FIND LAST YEAR'S RETURN?  What are my options ??? 

Thanks and blessings....

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Are you on Windows or Mac?  

You need to have the file ending in .tax2020 to transfer in to 2021.  Are you on Windows?  It should be in your Documents then in a Turbo Tax folder.  Or search your whole computer for all files ending in .tax or .tax2020.  And check your Recycle Bin.  Are you on Windows 10?  That can move files to different spots like to One Drive.  Or to Drop Box.  Check your backups.  Could it be under a different user on your computer?   

If you don't have the main .tax file you might have one that starts with a Tilde sign ~ like  "~your name.tax2020".  That file is if your computer crashes or your real file gets lost or deleted or corrupt so you can restore it.

See if you have any other .tax2020 files on your computer.  Maybe you transferred from the wrong one.  Or you changed your return after filing like to test?

Find your Tax file in Windows

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/find-your-tax-data-file-tax-file-in-windows/00/...

Here's an idea.  Do you still have 2020 installed?  Try opening 2020 program and see if you can get your 2020 return to show up in it.  Go to FILE -  OPEN.  See if it is the right one.  Then save it again with a name and place you can find.  Go to File - Save As.

To Volvo Girl:

I use a Mac.

Whenever I use Turbotax, I don't specifically decide where to save a file, I just let TurboTax save it wherever it saves it.   I didn't know that I have a choice to save it somewhere else on my computer.

When I opened up the 2021 to start a return, Turbotax program screen popped up saying something like:  "Select the return from the list here that you want to transfer into 2021".  But there was NOTHING showing up in that screen ! 

So are you saying that if I can open up 2020, I can then save it anywhere on my computer?  But then how does 2021 find it??

When it asks to transfer you can browse to where 2020 is.  I think you can use use Finder to find it.  It might be buried somewhere.

How to transfer into Mac Desktop

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-the-t...

How to find tax files on Mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/find-your-tax-data-file-in-mac/00/26206

Thanks so much VolvoGirl !  You're terrific !!!!

Will give it a try.  Have a blessed evening !!!  God bless !!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies