Three States of Residence - Changing Dates

JThompr

I was a part-year resident of three states during 2020: 

State 1: 01/01/2020 - 03/15/2020

State 2: 03/16/2020 - 11/10/2020

State 3: 11/11/2020 - 12/31/2020

I qualify as a part year resident under the statutes of each state, and will need to file three part-year resident returns.

TurboTax only allows users to input one additional state in the "My Info" section of the software. As a result, it puts me down as a full-year non-resident of State 1 and a resident of State 2 beginning 01/01/2020. I was able to change my residency on State 1 through the return process. However, when I go to do State 2, it will not let me change the dates and directs me back to the "My Info" section, which is no help. 

Will listing the incorrect dates lead to any problem? I have 183 days of residency no matter what, and will be able to correctly allocate my income between the states by hand. 

DavidD66

As you stated, you will need to file part-year resident returns for each of the three states you lived in.  Don't worry about the states and dates in the "My Info" section.  When you get to the State Tax section, you will be able to add a second and a third state to your return.  You will also be able to enter the dates of residency in each state. 

JThompr

Hi David, this isn't true for me. When I get to state 2 (Utah), I get the following message: 

"Based on the personal information you entered on your federal return, these are the dates you or your spouse were a part-year resident of Utah. Go back to your federal return if changes need to be made to these dates."

When I go to the Federal return, I am unable to change the dates. Is there a manual override available prior to filing?