turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Three States of Residence - Changing Dates

I was a part-year resident of three states during 2020: 

State 1: 01/01/2020 - 03/15/2020

State 2: 03/16/2020 - 11/10/2020

State 3: 11/11/2020 - 12/31/2020

I qualify as a part year resident under the statutes of each state, and will need to file three part-year resident returns.

TurboTax only allows users to input one additional state in the "My Info" section of the software. As a result, it puts me down as a full-year non-resident of State 1 and a resident of State 2 beginning 01/01/2020. I was able to change my residency on State 1 through the return process. However, when I go to do State 2, it will not let me change the dates and directs me back to the "My Info" section, which is no help. 

Will listing the incorrect dates lead to any problem? I have 183 days of residency no matter what, and will be able to correctly allocate my income between the states by hand. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

As you stated, you will need to file part-year resident returns for each of the three states you lived in.  Don't worry about the states and dates in the "My Info" section.  When you get to the State Tax section, you will be able to add a second and a third state to your return.  You will also be able to enter the dates of residency in each state. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi David, this isn't true for me. When I get to state 2 (Utah), I get the following message: 

"Based on the personal information you entered on your federal return, these are the dates you or your spouse were a part-year resident of Utah. Go back to your federal return if changes need to be made to these dates."

When I go to the Federal return, I am unable to change the dates. Is there a manual override available prior to filing? 

I'm having the same issue

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Some states cannot handle a move-in and a move-out on a part-year return.  State laws vary, so there is no set rule.  So if you do have this situation, choose two states as part-year resident states and the third as a non-resident state.  (This is the most accurate if the time "living" in the second state is less than a year.  This can be considered a temporary residency).  For instance:

• State A:  resident from 01/01/20 to 02/26/20:  Part-year return
  • State B:  "resident" from 02/27/20 to 11/15/20:  Nonresident return  (Doesn't matter that you were there more than 183 days.  You didn't maintain a residence the entire year, so you are not a statutory resident of the state.  To be a statutory resident, you must both be physically present in the state 183 days or more and maintain a residence for the entire year.  This is a "catch-all" law that states use to prevent a "snowbird", for example, from escaping state taxes by just not being present for a time in the year)
  • State C:  resident from 11/16/20 to 12/31/20 and beyond with intention to stay:  Part-year return

Your tax result will be the same:  each state will tax the amount of income earned in the state.  But since you probably cannot file three part-year returns, this method will be acceptable.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies