turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mw222

Puerto rico bond interest is not treated correctly on the CA return. How should this be handled.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

Puerto rico bond interest is not treated correctly on the CA return. How should this be handled.

That's right, PR bond interest is not taxable by the states. The TT/States won't include it in taxable if they know it's PR bond interest and that has to be entered in the 1099-INT federal screen.

Go back and edit that 1099-INT. The PR bond interest should only be in Box 8, not also in Box 1. Click through to Which state is your $$ of exempt interest from? Be sure you have selected Puerto Rico. That will keep it as tax exempt interest in the TT/States, including TT/Calif (I just tried it and it works fine).

View solution in original post

7 Replies
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

Please elaborate - what is it that isn't correct?
mmw90012

Puerto Rico bond interest is not taxable in California and other states and turbo tax treats it as taxable
MissM52

This is not working for me. I have tax-exempt interest in two states: California and Puerto Rico. The CA State turbo tax is only treating the CA interest as tax-exempt, and I can't figure out how to modify it
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

That's right, PR bond interest is not taxable by the states. The TT/States won't include it in taxable if they know it's PR bond interest and that has to be entered in the 1099-INT federal screen.

Go back and edit that 1099-INT. The PR bond interest should only be in Box 8, not also in Box 1. Click through to Which state is your $$ of exempt interest from? Be sure you have selected Puerto Rico. That will keep it as tax exempt interest in the TT/States, including TT/Calif (I just tried it and it works fine).

mw222

Thank you TurboTaxTerry.  I deleted and reentered the entire 1099 and your solution worked.
MissM52

This is not working for me. I have tax-exempt interest in two states: California and Puerto Rico. The CA State turbo tax is only treating the CA interest as tax-exempt, and I can't figure out how to modify it

I have the same problem.  Maybe the way out is to enter it as two separate 1099-INT, one for CA and one for PR, and then TT/Calif would take care of it correctly (as the answer above seems to suggest). Would this work, and is this ok?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies