Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in NC and work in VA why can't I file 763-S? They ask if I live in PA,DC and WVA why not NC?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I live in NC and work in VA why can't I file 763-S? They ask if I live in PA,DC and WVA why not NC?

That form is to be used to recover "accidental" VA withholding for reciprocal tax states.

NC does not have a reciprocal tax agreement with VA ...so you are taxed on all your VA-wages and must file a Non-resident VA tax return. Thus, VA is allowed to tax your VA wages....so you may not get any withholding back...depends on yoru total income situation.

NC also will include that VA income in it's tax calculations, since you are a NC resident, but to avoid double-taxation, NC will allow you to take a credit for the taxes that VA keeps (i.e. if VA refunds any of their withholding, NC only allows a credit for "up to" what VA kept)

In order for those calcuations to be done correctly..AFTER your Federal is fully filled out, then you work on the VA non-resident tax return, and you must do the NC Resident tax return last.  There are questions in the NC Q&A interview about taking that credit for taxes paid to VA...so look for it there.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply

That form is to be used to recover "accidental" VA withholding for reciprocal tax states.

NC does not have a reciprocal tax agreement with VA ...so you are taxed on all your VA-wages and must file a Non-resident VA tax return. Thus, VA is allowed to tax your VA wages....so you may not get any withholding back...depends on yoru total income situation.

NC also will include that VA income in it's tax calculations, since you are a NC resident, but to avoid double-taxation, NC will allow you to take a credit for the taxes that VA keeps (i.e. if VA refunds any of their withholding, NC only allows a credit for "up to" what VA kept)

In order for those calcuations to be done correctly..AFTER your Federal is fully filled out, then you work on the VA non-resident tax return, and you must do the NC Resident tax return last.  There are questions in the NC Q&A interview about taking that credit for taxes paid to VA...so look for it there.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies