Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can't start CO state return

Can't start CO state return. when I try TT keeps trying to re-download, but has already confirmed it's there and up to date

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I'm having the exact same issue with IL state return.  When I click on the Start button for Illinois, it brings up the window that it will save my return while downloading the state forms.  Then it says "Your software is up to date" since it's already downloaded the forms.  Click on the Start button again and it starts the same process yet again, prompt to save return and download state, and saying it's up to date.

Is there a way to manually fix this constant loop that makes it impossible to actually file my state return?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

This is a known issue with a workaround. Here is the article from Turbo Tax Help.

State Loop indicates TurboTax is "up to date" after updating but won't allow you to Install your state return

Resolution

:

1. Download the TTStateCleanup.zip file and save it to your Desktop or other easy-to-find location.
  1. Double click to open the zip folder
  2. Extract the contents of the folder to your desktop and open the extracted folder.
  3. Right-click the downloaded file (TTCleanStates.exe) and select Run as Administrator.
  4. Select your version  (Personal or Business)
  5. select your state from the drop-down menu and choose Remove (if you're having problems with multiple states, choose  Remove all States).
  6. Once the tool finishes doing its thing, close it and reopen TurboTax.
  7. Follow the prompts to update TurboTax at the prompt – it should start downloading your state.
  8. If not, click the State Taxes tab and download it from there.
  9. If the fix-it fails, do this instead:
  10. Uninstall TurboTax.
  11. Double-click the CD or download file to start the reinstallation process with the following steps:
  12. Click Next on the Welcome Screen.
  13. Click I Agree on the License Agreement.
  14. On the next screen, where you see the install location, select Browse and change it to the location where TurboTax was originally installed. Normally, it's something like C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\Deluxe 20XX.
  15. Click Install after changing the location.
  16. Reopen TurboTax after installation and proceed to your state taxes.

If the above steps do not resolve the issue you're experiencing in TurboTax Please use the article below to restart your computer into Selective Startup and run the tool again.  

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for that info.  What finally worked for me was using the tool while booted in Selective mode.  Then when I restarted TurboTax, it updated before opening the program instead of waiting until I clicked on the State start button.  I just stayed in Selective mode and finished up the State return and it all went great at that point.

rzh1974

Thank you, Amy!

Your solution works!

Thanks a lot

WKins2
Expert Alumni

If you find you run into anymore questions or need assistance please make sure you start a new thread for that and someone will be able to help you! 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I had the exact problem with NY. Abysmal programming errors encountered this year like never before. Amateurish mistakes everywhere. I DON'T WANT TO BE TURBOTAX'S USER TESTER EVER AGAIN!  Inexcusable programming problems like the inability to start your state tax because of an infinite looping bug that prevents a user from accessing their state return even though it was downloaded. I had to install the program on a second computer just to do the state portion. Then you can't move your tax files back to the original computer, more error messages. All of TT's help files for this problem did nothing to fix it. It appears no user testing was done for people that install two different versions of turbotax on a single machine (Deluxe and Home & Business) for two different family member's tax situations. Never been so frustrated using Turbotax. I would really like a refund for the hours of frustration. Took me longer to work around your program issues than to file the taxes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies