Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Small taxable amount from another state.

We lived in Tennessee from May of 1973 to Aug 1975.  We have lived in Georgia since 1992.  My wife taught school for a few day when we lived in Tenn and we found out last year (2020) that she had $49.07 sitting in the Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System.  We closed out her account and received a check for $49.07 of which $13.87 was taxable (1099-R).  We included the 1099-R in our federal filing.  We remain as Georgia residents and will not return to Tenn.  Is there any reason to file a Tenn state return for the taxable $13.87 in addition to our normal Georgia return?

3 Replies
Level 15

Small taxable amount from another state.

TN has no state income tax.    You do not need to file anything with TN for that retirement check.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Employee Tax Expert

Small taxable amount from another state.

No. You do not have to file a Tennessee Hall Individual Income Tax Return.


Tennessee only taxes interest and dividends if the amount is over $1,250 ($2,500 if married, filing jointly) during the tax year. There is no state tax on other income, such as a 1099-R.

Returning Member

Small taxable amount from another state.

Thank you for your quick response!

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies