turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Same job but moved to parents house during pandemic

I worked the same job during all of 2020 and had $60k of income. I lived in the state where I worked for 4 months then I moved home to another state during the pandemic and worked remotely for 8 months. Do I have to pay taxes in both states or just the state where my job is and I lived for 4 months. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

It depends. States have different rules about taxing employees who moved out-of-state due to the pandemic. We'd have to know specifically which states.

A clue that may help is to look at what's being reported in the state section of your W-2 (boxes 18-20), assuming you told your employer relocated.

If you told your employer you moved and you still had tax withheld from your old state, then you probably have to pay tax in both states. If you have separate state wages and withholding for two states, then you probably can file part-year returns and report only income attributable to each state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Job is in North Carolina then I moved home to Maryland. I didn’t try to hide that I moved to MD but I didn’t inform the payroll dept that I moved. So withholding was only for NC. 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

For now Maryland will not attempt to tax an employee who is working remotely at residence in MD for a company in another state.  You only need to file NC resident return for 2020.  However, if you are allowed to continue to work remotely and you take steps to permanently move to Maryland, 2021 filing could be different (e.g. part-year NC and Part-year MD or resident MD and Non-resident NC).  

Here is a link with how different states are handling work from home.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies