turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Won't let me e-file in Mass

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You are correct, you can't Override anything and still Efile.  However, this might be a simple fix, by Editing your W-2 entry.

If the first line for State indicates MA, with an amount of earnings and tax paid, leave that line.

If the second line indicates RI, with the same amount of earnings and tax paid, take out the earnings amount.

Or, split the total amount of earnings; enter half on the MA line and half on the NJ line. 

This is really a W-2 issue; your earnings are not being reported properly.

Your employer should not be taking out tax for both states; only one or the other (where you worked or where you lived).  

Best option would be for employer to withhold only MA tax; then you don't have to deal with RI at all.

Click this link to request Phone Support.  They can either help you with correcting your entry and/or refunding your product purchase. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

I live in Mass but work in Rhode Island.  My employer takes out withholding for both states.  On the MASS form, page 2 line 3 wants wages and salaries from all 1099 & W2 forms.  TT counts my income from my W2 twice overstating our total income.  I override that number with the correct amount but TT won't let me e-file.  I have already paid for the e-file even though I have to mail by Mass tax forms in.  This has been an on-going problem over the years.

How do I get my money from Intuit back.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You are correct, you can't Override anything and still Efile.  However, this might be a simple fix, by Editing your W-2 entry.

If the first line for State indicates MA, with an amount of earnings and tax paid, leave that line.

If the second line indicates RI, with the same amount of earnings and tax paid, take out the earnings amount.

Or, split the total amount of earnings; enter half on the MA line and half on the NJ line. 

This is really a W-2 issue; your earnings are not being reported properly.

Your employer should not be taking out tax for both states; only one or the other (where you worked or where you lived).  

Best option would be for employer to withhold only MA tax; then you don't have to deal with RI at all.

Click this link to request Phone Support.  They can either help you with correcting your entry and/or refunding your product purchase. 

FB15
Returning Member

For the most part I've completed most of the Federal Tax form. I then moved on to the Mass Tax form and it looks nothing like it did in previous years. It's titled Individual Mass Tax, most of it's  forms  are related to detailed medical forms. It states in several places that I will not be efile it and it shows on one of the forms that I must sign/date the form.

I've been al long time turbo tax customer and in the past I would down load the state tax software but this time it just showed and looked nothing like it use to.

Please advise.

Regards Francis Bearer

Home Phone [phone number removed]

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No, you will not be able to electronically your Massachusetts return until your federal return has been accepted and electronically filed. That date is 02/12/2021.

Also most states forms for Massachusetts are not available yet to file. Please select this link for verification. This may be the reason why your forms look different the in software than they did in the past.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies