Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shortski8
Returning Member

Underpayment Worksheet Error cannot correct or clear - Minnesota

When completing e-file for MN a new error came up that had not appeared when I ran error check on tax forms.  

An underpayment worksheet no longer being used caused the new error.  I tried  to delete the form and use original calculated underpayment penalty because I want to efile.  Turbotax support tried to help but could not find solution.  We tried everything -  removed worksheet, removed all MN tax forms, cleared cache, etc and restarted state form after reentering relevant data on the federal deductions form, tested data in federal form that would result in no penalty etc.  Every time I restarted and completed the MN forms, the worksheet reappeared with my original incorrect data.  Turbotax doesn't want to let go of the information.  Turbotax support finally credited my e-file fee as the only solution.   

Q:  Why didn't the error show up during error check before filing?

Q:  I still want to efile my state taxes. Help anyone?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

The program has an error check for the tax forms during the process. Then the program has a review for meshing with the actual filing and that is where you got hung up. MN does not have a portal for filing taxes with them. They require you go through a software company.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
shortski8
Returning Member

Thanks for the reply.  However I ran the error check during the process and no error was found.  It was not found until I paid and was submitting the form.

I have filed MN electronically before and Turbotax provides an e-file for Minnesota,  but that is not my question.  I am trying to delete the Underpayment worksheet  information and Turbotax does not clear the form even when I started the entire process over.  Each worksheet should clear when the MN Tax form is removed. Can this technical issue be resolved soon in an update?  

dib

I have the same issue with the underpayment calculation error.  I don't believe I made an underpayment.  When I complete the form myself using the short method, there should be no underpayment.  I don't know where the program is getting the numbers it uses for the regular method.  Very frustrating.  I guess I'll just print the forms and white out the errors.

dib

I figured out what my issue was.  I had made errors in the dates of my quarterly estimated tax payments.  So it was all my fault.  

dts71

This is still a problem.  If you have an underpayment and owe a penalty TurboTax error checks say you can e-file, but when you actually go to try to do it, you get the error that you must file by mail.  This is error comes after Intuit has collected their e-file fee, so you have to go ask for a refund.  TurboTax should not let you try to efile and collect their fee if you can not efile.  This makes me much less likely to use TurboTax next year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies