turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

raoram2

Unable to purchase and download additional states

I purchased TurboTax Deluxe from Amazon.  I was able to download the first state which comes with the original purchase. I need to download another state and I am unable to do this.  When I try to make the purchase and connect to the Intuit online store, the link to the store does not work.

Can someone help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies

The system has locked my account since yesterday after stating I could retry in 15 minutes sice I am not sure of my user name or password.  I want to add two states; Maine and Pennsylvania.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Here's an article that will help you troubleshoot your state download.

State install/e-file update loop: State not install...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm having exactly the same problem. The "solution" proposed below by AkinaLO does not address the specific problem we're having. Have you been able to resolve the issue?

This does not resolve the problem identified in the original post. The problem is that when trying to purchase an additional state, the "continue" button on the popup is non-operable. It is possible to close the popup and return to the screen from which an additional state is purchased, but that only leads back to the popup with its unresponsive "continue" button. There appears to be no alternative route for purchase of an additional state.

Wonder if it is related to the other desktop state problem that just cropped up.  @mesquitebean 

@ VolvoGirl 

I think it's different.  I'm not sure what's causing the non-functioning Continue button, but some users have experienced this before that state efile issue.   Here's how I would approach this:

@crapgame  I'll tell you something to try to fix it, and if successfule, I've also provided an alternate way to purchase and screen images below.

If you're using the Windows version, popup screens in desktop TurboTax can sometimes be problematic if the screen resolution is set to high value or if scaling is set too high.  Whether this is causing the button not to function properly or not, I don't know.  But it's something to try.  Here's how:

Try going to Windows Setting>System>Display

Set scaling to 100%.  You can put it back later.

If that doesn't solve it, go back to that display settings and lower the screen resolution, such as 800x600.  You can put it back later.

If the continue button is still not working, here are 2 images that show how to purchase an additional state over the phone.   While you have them on the phone, see if they have any further recommendation about the Continue button not working.   NOTE:  The second image should generate a serial number you are to give the agent.  However, I don't know if your continue button will work on the second image screen.   If you end up purchasing that way, I'd keep Support on the line while you do it to make sure your purchase is successful.

statepurchase1.png

statepurchase2.png

Thanks for the help, mesquitebean. I was able to solve the problem, indirectly, by adjusting the scaling to 100 percent. Doing that didn't unlock the "continue" button, and the "we can help you here" link also continued to be unresponsive. I had no idea how to get to the "Purchase by phone" screen you recommended, so tried to search for it. As seems to be typical of this year's TurboTax, the search function would not let me enter a query. Out of desperation, however, I went to the "Online" menu at the top of the screen and found "Download State." From there everything worked.

As an aside, I have to say that as a  20-year+ TurboTax user -- and, yes, enthusiastic advocate -- I'm extremely disappointed and even angry at the multitude of problems in this year's software. Moreover, I had two experiences with TurboTax phone support, both of which were extremely unsatisfactory. I'll give TurboTax another try next year, but if the experience is similar, they will have lost a customer.

MJE1994

None of the fixes described worked for me.  It is a problem across products -- I cannot buy state returns in TurboTax Premier or in TurboTax Business.   Hopefully they are monitoring these chats and they'lll fix it ASAP.

@MJE1994 wrote:

None of the fixes described worked for me.  It is a problem across products -- I cannot buy state returns in TurboTax Premier or in TurboTax Business.   Hopefully they are monitoring these chats and they'lll fix it ASAP.

They typically do not monitor threads in the user forum.  

Support hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

You can use this contact form to get a phone number.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

I agree, crapgame. It seems that they failed to properly test the software before release. Also, the online (real people) help is clueless to issues discussed on this forum. I spent a fruitless hour with someone who told me to try a hardwired internet connection, or "turn off your computer and restart it".  Really?

Hello, I.was wondering if you ever got the solution of this issue as I am facing it right now.

@Niknek 

If you have a popup window for purchasing an additional state program that has any missing elements or a non-functioning "Continue" button, etc.  it may be related to screen resolution and/or scaling similar to the screen problem some folks experience who get a blank activation screen.    If that's your situation, try a screen resolution of 800x600 and scaling of 100%.   If that doesn't work, then also see the previous comment by user "crapgame" in this thread who purchased the additional state program by using the Online menu in the top TurboTax menubar and in the dropdown choosing "Download State."

If you end up needing to speak to TurboTax Customer Support, here's how to reach them during business hours.  If necessary, they can take your payment and push the download of the additional state program.

Support hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

You can use this contact form to get a phone number.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

@mesquitebean I really appreciate it. Unfortunately the resolution change option didn't work. I will try the other option or will call them. Thank you again trying to help me. Unfortunately using Turbotax this year is a very annoying and time consuming experience. 

HI,

FIXED! (for me) Just spent a long time on the phone sorting out this issue. For me, I needed to unplug external monitors to just have the one. Then, switch screen resolution back and forth from 800 x 600  then back up to max resolution on every click to get the screen to refresh. For entering your cc or billing info, you can enter multiple text boxes between doing the  resolution swap, then once you change resolution you'll see your changes. Was really a pain for the drop down boxes for cc exp date, but was able to type those in to some extent. It's obviously a little finnicky. Anyway, hopefully yes, they fix this next year. Best of luck if you're filing on the extension deadline like me!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies