turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

turbo tax never asked for tax withheld in second state worked in. I didn't get credit for the tax I paid in the second state.

my daughter lives in michigan and usually works in michigan but this year the company she works for sent her to minnesota to train some people for 6-7  weeks. her company sent her 2 w-2s the second one for showing her wages made in minnesota. turbotax asked if wages were earned in 2 states and I answered yes. it asked if she got 2 w-2s and I said no because both W-2s had her total wages in the federal income and I didn't want to make it look like she made twice what she did. when I finished her federal and michigan state taxes I purchased the minnesota software from turbo tax and the software asked what were her minnesota wages but it never asked how much taxes she paid in minnesota so its and it isn't offering her any credit or anything for the minnesota taxes she paid. I'm really confused. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

turbo tax never asked for tax withheld in second state worked in. I didn't get credit for the tax I paid in the second state.

Here is how to update her W-2 entry for the taxes paid to the second state:

1. Login to TurboTax.com.
  2. Click on Wages & Income and then Review/Edit.
  3. Click on Edit/Add beside the W-2 where she worked in two states.
  4. Click Edit again beside the name of the company.
  5. Scroll down to Box 15 and click + Add another row.
  6. You can now add the second state's information without duplicating her wages.

Continue through to review the entries and then proceed to the state section to add the second state return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I think the answer is for an online copy but I'm using the desktop version but it did get me thinking. I opened up the forms and found where the Michigan tax entries were recorded and added the Minnesota on the next line. That fixed it

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies