Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State Tax E-File Rejected due to software glitch

I correctly entered ALL W-2 info on my ND-1 State Tax Line 26.  TurboTax software checked for errors initially.  Found an issue, I went in and retyped the info it requested, which was correct on our W-2.  Double checked it.  All ok.  Submitted the ND State via E-File for $19.99, and it was Rejected.  So I went back into TurboTax following your instructions.  I noticed the TT software was "correcting itself"!!!, and I no longer owed but was getting a State Refund.  My original printed forms appear to have omitted ND-1 State Tax Line 26 amount (which was entered correctly), then after it "SELF-CORRECTED", I printed out the new forms, and magically the amount appeared as initially entered!  So there appears there was some sort of TT software glitch from Federal to State info.    The software would not allow me Re-E-File as it indicated it would but had to print out the forms so I can mail them instead.  Appears to me a refund of $19.99 is due to me, as I did not make the error, but instead TurboTax did, and it cost me $$.  I feel this is unfair, and should be refunded to me by TurboTax since it appears the software made the error in the first place then would not allow me to resubmit via e-filing as it claimed it would.  Thanks for a response.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

This situation will be best handled by contacting customer care. Please click here for directions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is frustrating.  Someone called from Turbotax, Left a Message, but left no Support ID# nor gave me a # to call them back!!! Now I cannot seem to get anything but "Automated" on the phone, which does not help me get to a real person.  It keeps me going in circles.  Will someone PLEASE call me again? 

My state got rejected too and it says the reject code is something which apparently doesn’t exist... When I look up the code nothing comes up. Don’t know what to do about it it says it was a software error and “we fixed it” but I don’t want to waste my time refilling for it to just get rejected again. 

Ditto with my VA return.  Software glitch.  Waiting for the details and fix to refile.

Mines VA too! Is the error VA_Charity? Nothing comes up on google. The turbotax live person I just tried to chat with had no idea what I was talking about and I also think didn’t know how taxes work. Said I was being rejected because I owe taxes lol.

Yep, I had the same VA_Charity rejection code.  Not sure what it means or how it gets fixed since I filed via CD versus completing the return on-line.  When I sign into my account, there is no information.  Maybe tomorrow....

For me it said “we fixed it” and just had me click through my deposit/withdrawal info and is ready to refile, but it didn’t have me change anything, so I don’t trust that the issue is fixed. Glad to see someone else has the same problem though, more likely to actually be a software issue. No idea how VA_Charity plays into it though. I just want tax peace

BonBon69
Returning Member

I also got a rejection on my Virginia State Tax Return.  The email from Turbo Tax said it had to do with VA-Charity.

Don't quite know what that is.  The live person at Turbo Tax wasn't of much help.  She did say that a lot of calls had come in from people whose state returns were denied.  So I followed the directions on my Turbo Tax account.  The prompt said it was a software error and that rereviewing my state tax return would correct the issue.  So I followed TT's instructions and re-e-filed my State return.  I guess I'll know in a couple of days whether this took or not.  Good luck to everyone out there!

Godspeed solider we’ll get out of tax purgatory soon

BonBon69
Returning Member

Wanted to give you an update on this software glitch.  After receiving an email from Turbo Tax (TT) that my State of Virginia return had been rejected, I logged in to my TT account.  TT said the issue was a software glitch that had to do with VA Charity (whatever that meant).  After following the instructions on Turbo Tax, I rereviewed my State of Virginia tax return and then re-e-filed my taxes.  Six hours later I received an email that my state taxes had been accepted.  So Turbo Tax's instructions for correcting this software glitch does work.  

When you get the notice that  your state tax return has been rejected, simply go to your Turbo Tax account and log in.  Then look in the left hand column and click on State, then at the top right-hand corner click on State Review.  Go through the prompts and if TT ask you to correct something, do that also.  When you get to the end of the review you should be able to re-e-file your state tax return successfully (at no charge to you).

I have used Turbo Tax for over 15 years, and I have to admit this is the first glitch that I have ever run into.  I guess I'm lucky.  Also, you won't notice any difference in your printed State tax return.  They look identical!

Good luck, everybody!

Thanks so much for sharing! I’ll refile mine now then 🙂

BonBon69
Returning Member

Turbo Tax has said that if you are using a CD or downloaded version of Turbo Tax:  you should update Turbo Tax (visit their support Site if you need help updating).  Then sign in to your Turbo Tax account - select the State Taxes tab, then select Virginia.  You'll see your 2020 Virginia state taxes are ready for us to check.  Scroll down the screen and select Let's check it over. - Review your results, making any corrections.  E-file your return (you won't be charged for e-filing).  **This paragraph was pulled from the Turbo Tax Sheet that described correcting the software error in your virginia return due to an error in their software.

Hope this helps!

cardri

After Intuit fixed their SW error prior to 03/12/21 state filing rejection; now will not allow me to refile state, says I need to add federal efile that I can't cause it has been filed and approved. 

@cardri wrote:

After Intuit fixed their SW error prior to 03/12/21 state filing rejection; now will not allow me to refile state, says I need to add federal efile that I can't cause it has been filed and approved. 

This is a known error.  Sign up for updates on this error here - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies