Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State's taxes for online investment on Robinhood?

I'm confused about whether I have to file state's taxes for online stock investments on Robinhood. Which state I should file taxes for (my residential state or Robinhood's state)? I just bought and sells several stocks last year, so I know I have a net gain. 

I'm not using Turbo, but I'll use Springtax to file my taxes for this year. Appreciate your answers!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Robinhood is a financial services company.  You do Not file state tax return for the state where Robinhood is based.

You report investment sales on a federal tax return.  Any investment sales or losses are included in your resident state gross income on the resident state tax return.

View solution in original post

@ndnguyen wrote:

One more question which might be trivial. Do I have to file state's taxes for the states where companies I bought stocks from are located? Some companies' stocks I bought are from California. 

No.  You only have to file a nonresident state income tax return if you physically worked in another state other than your resident state.

Just because you own shares of a company that is based outside of your resident state in no way means that you have to file a state tax return for the state where the company is located.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Robinhood is a financial services company.  You do Not file state tax return for the state where Robinhood is based.

You report investment sales on a federal tax return.  Any investment sales or losses are included in your resident state gross income on the resident state tax return.

@DoninGA Thanks! So I will need to fill my state's tax return including Robinhood's net gain? 

Any gains from an investment sale are always included as state income.  Your Sprintax agent should be able to assist you with the state return as well as the federal return, Form 1040NR.

https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html

One more question which might be trivial. Do I have to file state's taxes for the states where companies I bought stocks from are located? Some companies' stocks I bought are from California. 

@ndnguyen wrote:

No.  You only have to file a nonresident state income tax return if you physically worked in another state other than your resident state.

Just because you own shares of a company that is based outside of your resident state in no way means that you have to file a state tax return for the state where the company is located.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies