turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State Refund Processing Timeframe

The processing times for state returns varies from state to state. Some states have noted that they will take extra time this year to process returns and issue refunds. The reason is due to added measures to protect against fraud. You'll find a list of states that have notated timeframes below. And if you click the name of each state, you will be taken to the page to track your refund status for that state. 

• ALABAMA Please allow 8-12 weeks to receive your refund
  • CALIFORNIA - Normal processing is up to 2 weeks for e-filed and 4 weeks for paper filed returns. See here processing time for timeframes of those that require extra processing time.
  • COLORADO - May delay refunds for some taxpayers by up to 60 days beyond normal processing time.  
  • DELAWARE - Began processing returns the third week of February and can take 4 to 12 weeks
  • GEORGIA - Asks that most taxpayers allow 90 business days to process a return and issue a refund, following receipt of their returns
  • KANSAS - Taxpayers expecting refunds that filed electronically can expect a deposit in 10 to 14 business days. Taxpayers expecting a refund that filed using a paper form should allow at least 16 to 20 weeks to receive a refund back by mail.
  • HAWAII - Allow 9-10 weeks after you mail or e-file your tax return and an additional 2 weeks for paper refund checks.
  • ILLINOIS - You can expect your refund to take longer than previous years as we continue our efforts to prevent identity theft and fraud.
  • LOUISIANA -The expected refund processing time for returns filed electronically is up to 60 days. For paper returns, taxpayers should expect to wait 12 to 14 weeks.
  • MASSACHUSETTS - Takes 4 to 6 weeks to process e-filed returns. And 8-10 for paper filed returns
  • MISSISSIPPI - Ordinarily, within ten weeks after we receive your completed return, we will mail your refund check.  Therefore, allow at least ten weeks for your refund to arrive before contacting us.
  • MISSOURI will delay most refunds, however, no timeline has been given.
  • MONTANA - For returns filed in January with no problems noted, refunds can sometimes be issues within a week. However, refunds from returns filed in April can sometimes take 8 weeks, even if there is no problem with the return, as the state manages its cash resources as it meets all of its obligations. The timing of refunds is also affected by the Department's measures to prevent identity theft and refund fraud
  • NORTH CAROLINA - Due to enhanced identity theft protection measures, some refunds may take longer than normal, which is 6-8 weeks for electronically filed returns and 12 weeks for paper returns.
  • NEW JERSEY - Did not start processing tax returns until March 1st. Up to 4 weeks for e-filed and 12 weeks for paper filed. Returns that require manual processing may take 12 weeks or longer whether the return was filed electronically or on paper.
  • NEW MEXICO - The Department generally processes electronically filed returns claiming a refund within 6 to 8 weeks.  A paper return received by the Department takes 8 to 12 weeks to process.
  • PENNSYLVANIA - Please allow 8-10 weeks for processing
  • VIRGINIA - Takes up to four weeks to process e-filed tax returns and 8 weeks for paper filed
  • VERMONT - Began processing tax returns the first week of February and have an expected time frame of 6-8 weeks, while paper returns typically take at least 8-12 weeks.
  • WEST VIRGINIA - Due to the extremely large volume of returns, please allow at least 8 weeks for your return to be processed before calling to speak with someone concerning the status of your refund
  • WISCONSIN - Our strong fraud and error safeguards could delay some returns up to 12 weeks
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

Texas has no state income taxes. Neither does Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Washington and Wyoming.

Which states don't have income tax?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

81 Replies

What about Texas???
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

Texas has no state income taxes. Neither does Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Washington and Wyoming.

Which states don't have income tax?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pickcg

It has been 5 weeks and I have not received my Nebraska return.

I got Federal return in two weeks!

I would consider moving closer to the west coast to get out of that heat.

@Shawnwyatt1988 wrote:
What about Texas???

Nevada
1graduate
Returning Member

What about Michigan? It's been a yr since I received last years taxes returns and 3 mths since I have received this. I have sent in money for What owe federal and city and havent heard anything pertaining to the matter. It's been almost 8 weeks like They asked me to wait
1graduate
Returning Member

What about Michigan? It's been a yr since I received last years taxes returns and 3 mths since I have received this. I have sent in money for What owe federal and city and havent heard anything pertaining to the matter. It's been almost 8 weeks like They asked me to wait

Kansas accepted my return on the 23rd of January and issued my return on the 27th of January

knmfisher
Returning Member

This is not my problem / issue. My issue is that I cannot even start my NC state tax return. It will not open. I called about this a week or so ago and was told that the state would not accept the return until the 28th of Jan. and thus the reason why I could not open or start the return. But I've since waited beyond that date and then some, and I have the same issue. The software says the state is downloaded, but it will not open. If I click to start return, it continually goes through the process of saving my return, updating the return, then proclaiming the NC state tax return is downloaded. But if you click start, it goes through the same process over. 

Michigans not on the list nor does this have anything to do with Michigan State on Turbo Tax rejecting my sons correct SSN.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

TurboTax customers filing the Michigan Heating Credit may receive the following message in the error-check section their Michigan returns:

Check This Entry:

Household Member SSN is Invalid

We're expecting to resolve this issue on or around February 14.

Same problem!! I cant call.anyone.because I dont have plus version. What on earth is goin on

So what if feb. 14 comes and it's not fixed? I've used turbotax for years! This is kinda b.s ...that you cant call anyone unless you pay 30 bucks when its not.our fault in the first place

Lmcclam20

What about in NY? I received my federal within about a week and still haven't gotten my state. I filed on January 27th

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies