Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I remove other installed states from the desktop version of TurboTax?

I recently was successful in deleting unwanted states from updating by doing the following.

As previously stated by others, I selected (C:) Program Files (x86) > Turbo Tax > tax year > Forms >...at this point, I deleted the folders for the unwanted State programs. They were showing as cai for California; coi for Colorado; and nci for North Carolina. See the pattern? The first two letters of the folder are the state abbreviation. I did this for every tax year still on my computer and the next time I accessed my 2021 Turbo Tax program, it only updated the State that I still use. Hope this helps.

For what it's worth, I just got off the phone with Turbotax tech support, using the phone number they suggest, [phone number removed], and was told that there is no way to remove an unwanted state program, (not return, as noted above).  I was told that it will be brought forward, year to year, and there is no way to prevent this and just learn to live with it since it causes no harm.

If you want to check this out, call them up but be prepared to jump thru menu hoops like you never encountered!

DLD1

Folks,

Actually, there is a way to accomplish what TurboTax tries to make so difficult.  The problem is that each new installation of TTax reads the old return files from prior either all your prior returns or at least the returns from the preceding year.  It assumes that  the user still needs every state mentioned.  (Stupid programming, but that's how it works. It would be simple programming to put in a procedure showing you which states you’ve filed in in the past with check boxes for the ones you still want, but TurboTax hasn’t figured that out yet.)

The solution is to make eTurboTax think you are a brand new user.  Before installing the new version, move (don't simply copy) all of the old ttax files (the ones with your returns) to an external drive and then disconnect the external drive before beginning installation of the new year version.  To TurboTax, you then look like a first-timer, and it appears to download only the state program that you designate after opening the program.

I tried this with the 2020 version.  I moved all my previous returns, then uninstalled TTax2020, and then reinstalled it.  The states I did not want were gone; it downloaded only the state that I designated after opening the reinstalled program.

When I did my 2021 taxes, I did not have to move the 2020 return; the program read the 2020 return, copied my personal information, and loaded only the state in the 2020 return.

Follow this procedure, and you’ll be fine . . . until you move to another state.

I get no credit for this solution; I got it from a TTax support person who actually understood the problem and how to get rid of it.  (Perhaps I should get a Congeniality award for having tested the solution.)

This post is a refinement of one I made a couple of years ago.

I think all that was unnecessary.  It will only download the states you need when you add a state to your return.

That's not what we're talking about.  This is about state updates.  When you update the program it will also give you updates for any states you used in the past.  It isn't downloading the state program and putting it in your return.

Another issue is, if you present yourself as a new user to TT and begin with a blank slate, at what point do you avail yourself to historical data, e.g., depreciation, investment history, etc., to continue your current return.  Won't revisiting your old file for this data alert TT to the existence of the unwanted state program?

profdld

toothmaven,

I'm just guessing on this, but I suspect that or the first time around, you have to reenter the information from your previous years' returns, as you do with your personal information.

I should have figured out the original solution a long time ago, since it's the only thing that makes sense.  The only place from which the new version of TTax could get your old filing information is by reading your old returns.  Take them away, and it has nothing to read.  So I'm glad the solution works, but I feel silly for not doping it out myself.  (I think "dope" is the operative word here.)

az33
Level 2

I haven't been required to file returns in Illinois and California for many years yet whenever I update the program, my time is wasted waiting for those states to update. Last year I had a Turbo Tax technician on the phone who claimed they were removed but nothing changed. Perhaps I should change to a competitor's software.

A long time ago, one user said....

The list of states that you used is stored on your computer. When you get a new computer it starts over with an empty list. Getting a new computer is the only way I know of to get rid of the unwanted states. At one time I asked them to tell us how to remove a state from the list, but they never responded.

I think this post is CLOSE to solving the issue, but I did all of this and more and the unwanted states keep coming back when doing an update.  I got stubborn today and worked on this way too long.  I do not understand why Intuit hasn't fixed this.  Maybe they get some people to accidently download "extra" states- revenue enhancement?

Did this keep the unwanted states off?  I did what you outlined this afternoon.  Did it for each year that I have had TT.  Did the registry edits.  Rebooted.  And still the unwanted states try to update when updating.  Very annoying.  I do now have Windows 11, but would not think that should make a difference.  I will be looking for a different Tax Program next year as even though a relatively small problem, it is annoying and should have been fixed long ago.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Did you try the suggestion from tfschlink above, @SteveMc25?     @toothmaven, when you need to revisit a prior year return tax file with a different state attached to it, that state needs to be installed in order to access the forms for that state.   But if you open your PDF version of the return to review the data, you won't need to have those states installed to view the return.

You can uninstall the prior year states - but make sure you have downloaded a full PDF copy (with all calculation worksheets) of your return before doing so.   If you ever need to amend that return, you will need to reinstall the states.       

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gn19
Level 1

On the first page of this thread is a post by cparke3 on 4/17/2020.  I followed those instructions and have never seen the old states again.  Suggest reading that post and, if you're comfortable, do the steps outlined.  It worked for me.  See my post on Junary 2021 thanking cparke3.

It is a shame that TT won't fix this very irratating issue, but there is a way to get it to stop. 

Yes, I did read and try cparke3's method.  I think it is on the right track, but it still did not work for me.  I went thru it at least twice and TT still tried to do an update to the states (2) that I was trying to delete.  I know that I do not get charged for them, but I don't want to even "waste" the time it takes to update states that I don't need.  I am now on Windows 11 and maybe that fact is why it doesn't work, but that doesn't seem to me like it is the reason.  I saw another post about moving all old files off the PC before installing the new year of TT and I plan to try that next year assuming I decide to stick with TT.   I've been a Computer Tech for over 25 years and this situation is one of the more stupid software "bug" that I have ever seen.  Maybe TT is waiting for us to figure out how to fix it because they can't.

Must be something in your tax return referencing the unwanted state and causing TT to immediately re-install those states upon re-start.  You must purge all such references before you start the uninstall steps that I posted here several years ago.

Thanks for your comment.  Yes, I think you are right and that is my plan for next year is to start with a "clean slate".   Just in case TT monitors these comments I want to make another dig about their lack of addressing this issue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies