Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I remove other installed states from the desktop version of TurboTax?

Thanks.

The needed registry keys should all be under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Intuit\TY18\NEEDEPERSTATES

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Intuit\TY18\PREFILLPERSTATES

The format of the key name is w**iper where **= state name abbreviation. So for Massachusetts its ma, thus "wmaiper" and value is set to 1 if needed and present.

I'm wondering if I set wmaiper = 0, then at least I will be able to complete the federal return instead of TurboTax shutting down when it cannot open my .tax2018 return because it contains state data that it cannot process since it cannot access the forms to download.

I would guess that if you use/open your old return data file (which contains your MA data) the program would still look for MA program module.

But if you were to enter your data from scratch then perhaps it might skip looking for MA program module (although you would then not be able to create an amended federal return).

so far this worked for me:

before importing last years data to this year, delete all the unwanted state forms not only for the current year but also for the previous year

baileyn

I have not prepared a State return.  The program keeps giving me New Hampshire where I live, but my husband worked in Mass.  I tried to edit the state but there is no button for that.  What do I do?

HopeS
Expert Alumni

Individuals who are residents or inhabitants of New Hampshire for any part of the tax year must file if they received more than $2,400 of gross interest and/or dividend income for a single individual or $4,800 of such income for a married couple filing a joint New Hampshire return. Therefore, you do not have to file an NH return even if it is generated in TurboTax if you are not required to file.

When you are ready to e-file your Federal you will get to the filing option screen

1.  Select Change next to your state return. 
  2. On the Change filing method screen, select I'm not ready to file and Save

Or,

You can delete your State return by following these instructions.

Note: If you've already paid your TurboTax state fees or registered your free version with your state return attached, you can't delete your state return.

1. Sign in and open a section of your return
  2. From the menu, select State and then select Continue on the Let's get your state taxes done right screen
  3. On the Status of your state returns screen, select Delete next to your state, then answer Yes

Also, please see the link below on deleting State returns:

Delete State Returns

@baileyn 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Will this stop updates for that state in future years?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

We do not have information on what will happen in the future. It would be best to check at the time of filing. @tfschlink 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Maestro2

OK, I am not a computer geek by any means, but by just messing around found a method that worked for me so TT no longer goes through updates for states that at one point were relevant to my tax return. 

Here is what I did:  Go to and open (double left click) "Windows (C)"  (You can get there by typing "This PC" in the Search window at the bottom left of your screen which will give you a drop down of various things including Windows C). After opening Windows C,  in sequence,  left double click  "Program Files (x86)," then "Turbo Tax." When you open Turbo Tax, it lists the returns that you have done in the past and the one that you are currently working on (e.g., "Individual 2022")  Double left click that current return, then next double click on "Forms."  In Forms there are, among other things, all the states that are driving you nuts that you don't want to use/update,  each with a 3 letter abbreviation (e.g., Wisconsin is "wii_22").  Single right click on the state(s) you don't want, and then delete them. 

Hope this works for you! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies