turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marilea1942
Returning Member

Paying Extra for State, never had to do this in previous years??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You may have used the free version of turbo Tax in past years. If you needed to file with a paid  version this year because your taxable circumstances changed, then you will need to pay additionally to file your state return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
marilea1942
Returning Member

My Intuit or Turbo charges this year are terrible.  I will never, never use them again.

I was charged $39.99 For the Federal Turbo Tax, then I couldn't complete my taxes without paying another $42.19 for my State (Wisconsin).  THEN I went to send my taxes in AND I was charged another $39.99 and $19.99 for processing.  So all in all Turbo Tax charged me $142.16.  Talk about robbery!!  Never in my life have I been ripped off by Intuit this badly.  Normally they have been a very reliable company to work with.  

marilea1942
Returning Member

No, I have never used a FREE addition.  Normally, it cost me $40.00 and I have both the federal and state all at once.  Haven't had to purchase State separately.  I will take this to the Better Business Bureau.  

@marilea1942 wrote:

No, I have never used a FREE addition.  Normally, it cost me $40.00 and I have both the federal and state all at once.  Haven't had to purchase State separately.  I will take this to the Better Business Bureau.  

The way your post reads, sounds like you used the TurboTax software installed on your personal computer.

The Basic desktop edition is $39.99 and Never has had the state program included in the purchase price.  If you had purchased the Deluxe desktop edition or higher there is one free state program Download included in the purchase price - TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

The state programs when used with the desktop editions are $39.99 each.  When e-filing a state tax return using the desktop editions there is a $19.99 e-file fee for each state return e-filed.  This charge can be avoided by printing and mailing the state tax return.

If you chose the totally optional Refund Processing Service to pay the State e-filing fee with the federal tax refund, there is a $39.99 service charge for this option.  This service charge could have been removed at any time before filing the tax return and pay the state e-file fee with a credit card.

marilea1942
Returning Member

I couldn't get my State Taxes without paying the additional $39.99 for filing or something?  What a rip off.  At most my taxes would cost me around $40.00 for both the state and federal and this year almost an additional $100.00.  I have never had this problem with intuit products before!!!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Your tax situation may have changed this year prompting Turbo Tax to upgrade you to the Tax Program that best suited your needs. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
marilea1942
Returning Member

I have used Turbo Tax for years and been well pleased BUT this year in addition to the Federal I had to pay another $42.19 to do my State Taxes??  Then I had to pay $39.99 for a Federal processing or something.  So it cost me a total of $142.16 to do taxes with Turbo Tax.  Terrible!  [email address removed]

@marilea1942 wrote:

I have used Turbo Tax for years and been well pleased BUT this year in addition to the Federal I had to pay another $42.19 to do my State Taxes??  Then I had to pay $39.99 for a Federal processing or something.  So it cost me a total of $142.16 to do taxes with Turbo Tax.  Terrible!  [email address removed]

The way your post reads, sounds like you used the TurboTax software installed on your personal computer.

The Basic desktop edition is $39.99 and Never has had the state program included in the purchase price.  If you had purchased the Deluxe desktop edition or higher there is one free state program Download included in the purchase price - TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

The state programs when used with the desktop editions are $39.99 each.  When e-filing a state tax return using the desktop editions there is a $19.99 e-file fee for each state return e-filed.  This charge can be avoided by printing and mailing the state tax return.

If you chose the totally optional Refund Processing Service to pay the State e-filing fee with the federal tax refund, there is a $39.99 service charge for this option.  This service charge could have been removed at any time before filing the tax return and pay the state e-file fee with a credit card.

I've been using Turbotax for  past 12 years.  This is the first year I had to pay $25 to efile my Wisconsin state taxes.   TurboTax package states "One state product is included with your TurboTax software.  You can download it by launching TurboTax, opening up your return and selecting Download State on the Online menu. 

If you need to purchase an additional State product, launch TurboTax, open up your return and select Download State..." 

So TurboTax what you're actually saying is state product/tax forms is included but not the efile.  There's enough deceit in the world why not just state it up front... efiling is not included.   It's all about the wording or in this case ... lack of words.  Thought you were were a company to trust.  Cost me over $75 in product alone, include my time I might as well start employing another tax company to perform my taxes and allocate my time elsewhere. 

@critters62 You must have been using the TurboTax online editions in the past since there is not an e-file charge for either a federal or state return with the online editions.  However, the state program when using the Deluxe online edition or higher is an additional charge, currently $50.

When using the TurboTax Deluxe desktop edition or higher there is one free state program download included in the purchase price.

I have been using TurboTax software since 1990.  From at least the year 2000 onward there has been an e-file charge for a state tax return when using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions.

The current charge for e-filing a state tax return with the desktop editions is $25.  This charge can be avoided by printing and mailing the state tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies