turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On reviewing my New York State tax return, my entire taxable income (line 38) has been taxed at my marginal rate of 6.85%. Is that normal?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

On reviewing my New York State tax return, my entire taxable income (line 38) has been taxed at my marginal rate of 6.85%. Is that normal?

So after some googling I found the link below which discusses the topic. It seems in New York State that once your income goes above a certain level (c.$105k) then the marginal income tax rate is applied to your whole income. This is also confirmed by the tax guidance document that NYS issues where the calculation tables purport to show detail workings but then basically tell you to skip all that if your income is above a certain level and just to apply the marginal rate. 

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=192321

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

New York State income tax rates range from 4% to 8.82% currently, depending on your income and filing status. If you live in New York City, you'll be required to pay even more tax, as the city imposes its own local income tax system on top of the one the state requires. Those rates range from 3.078% to 3.876%. 

The 6.85% tax rate is within the realm of NY state taxation.  Keep in mind if you live in NYC, there are additional taxes that need to be paid and reported on your NYS return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks I understand the rates. What I am asking is that my entire taxable income has been taxed at my marginal rate of 6.85% rather than a blended rate reflecting the different tax bands. Do you know why that would be?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

I assume that you have IT-201?

Could you tell us the values in lines 33, 38, 39, 43, 45, and 46? Thanks.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So after some googling I found the link below which discusses the topic. It seems in New York State that once your income goes above a certain level (c.$105k) then the marginal income tax rate is applied to your whole income. This is also confirmed by the tax guidance document that NYS issues where the calculation tables purport to show detail workings but then basically tell you to skip all that if your income is above a certain level and just to apply the marginal rate. 

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=192321

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies