turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CBeamer
Returning Member

Oklahoma Tribal Income Exemption

I spoke with the TurboTax live resource earlier today about this. He told me that my income is qualified for exemption being a Cherokee citizen, living on the reservation as recognized a month ago, and working for a clinic also on the reservation.

He also told me that he believes that the income from the other clinic I work for, located on the Creek reservation, should be exempt because I am a remote employee so all of the work performed is done on the Cherokee reservation. 

I called OTC to ask what documentation I need to submit to prove the work is performed on Cherokee land, and she told me that I have to be employed by the tribe for it to count. But... that isn't how it reads and if that were the case why would they have issued that document after the reservation decision discussing the impact on state income tax? 

I've contacted the head of the Cherokee Nation Commerce Department and they said they do not give tax advice and do not have anyone employed by the Cherokee Nation who would give tax advice. They said to follow instruction of a tax professional.

So I'm trying to figure out what is the truth and what documentation I would need to submit as a remote employee?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Oklahoma has 3 main requirements:

1.    You are a member of a recognized tribe (you seem to qualify on that point)

2.    You work on the tribal land associated with your tribe (also checks)

3.    You live on land associated as belonging to the tribe.  (This you would need to prove)

Oklahoma asks for significant documentation on this as well.  Please see OK instructions and review the information on page 18 under Tribal Income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
CBeamer
Returning Member

Yeah... OTC issued a statement early April though that they're choosing to believe that the McGirt decision was intended for criminal matters only and that to be tribal exempt, you have to work FOR the tribe.

They're going to get screwed in refunds, but whatever they flat out told me they're going to reject anyone that doesn't work for the tribe until the Supreme Court tells them they can't

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Oooof, Thanks for that update. That does change things. Somebody always challenges these things, even a class action suit possibly in this case. When things change again, you can file an amended return or you can file as you want now and fight through a legal battle. Good luck!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
nmtom
Returning Member

So if my income is from my tribe do i need to submit a copy of my W-2 to the state of ok tax commission or because I e-filed it is unnecessary. SO just send in CDIB and a bill showing i live within the city limits.  

CBeamer
Returning Member

From what I understand, you have to have proof of the income and proof of where you live, so yes the W-2 will cover your employment proof as well as the location of the workplace on your tribe's land. Then the card, and proof showing that you live on your tribe's land too.

nmtom
Returning Member

Thank you, I figured as much! I just wanted to double check so it doesn’t get delayed any more than it has to. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies