turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My w2 is showing up twice on my state compensation summary. I do live in PA and worked in NJ how can I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

My w2 is showing up twice on my state compensation summary. I do live in PA and worked in NJ how can I fix this?

PA residents working in NJ will file a NJ income tax return then file a PA Income Tax Return (PA- 40). They will get a credit toward their PA income tax obligation for income tax paid to NJ. ... The credit is the lesser of tax paid to NJ or the income subject to tax in both states times 3.07%.

If you only worked for one company then your W2 should show two lines for state taxes wiethheld.  One line for PA and one line for NJ.

TurboTax will ask you the questions needed to make sure you are paying the correct state taxes.

If you received two W2 forms from the same company and the only difference is the state income and taxes withheld, then you will only have one W2 entry and add another line for the second state.

Pennsylvania and New Jersey are reciprocal states for state income tax. As a worker in a reciprocal state, you can fill out that state's exemption form and give it to your employer if you don't want them to withhold taxes for your work state. If you do this, make sure your employer also withholds taxes for your resident state, otherwise you may get hit with underpayment penalties come tax time.

[edited 2/17/2021 | 7:38 pm PST]

jdellis19
Returning Member

What do I do if I continue to get an error that says I cannot efile because NJ withholdings are greater than income in that state?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Go back and edit your W-2 (search for w-2 and use the link to go to w-2 summary).  Verify you have entered the correct numbers in all of the boxes.  Double-check the amounts in Box 1, 16, and 17.   That error message is indicating that you have an amount in Box 17 that is greater than Box 16.    Make sure you have the correct state codes listed also.  If you have entered everything correctly, you will need to get a corrected W-2 from your employer as the withholdings can't be more than your wages for any state. 

For future tax returns,  if you work in New Jersey and are a resident of Pennsylvania you do not have to pay New Jersey income taxes on your wages. You would submit exemption Form NJ-165 to your employer.    @jdellis19

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jdellis19
Returning Member

Thank you for your reply! Is there any chance you could help me with my filing on turbotax since you understand the situation? Let me know, thanks!

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@jdellis19 Please click the link here, to contact us for further assistance.
Please be sure to enter the correct product, edition, and a detailed description of your issue. Once you fill out the form you will be given a service ticket number and a phone number to contact customer care. (You will not get a phone number if you use the link outside of operating hours.) We're open daily from 5:00 AM to 9:00 PM PT.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies