turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

djm6
Level 1

My daughter has NJ and non resident MD return filing. However after I downloaded MD it is computing MD tax for me I live and work in NJ and have no MD filingCan I delete

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

My daughter has NJ and non resident MD return filing. However after I downloaded MD it is computing MD tax for me I live and work in NJ and have no MD filingCan I delete

It shows that you are posting from TT Online.

TurboTax Online requires a separate account for each tax return.  See this: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Hal_Al
Level 15

The download versions of TT allow you to do multiple returns for the one purchase price. 

To switch from on-line to desktop:
Even before you pay for the online version you can switch to the desktop version and you won't have to re-enter your information. To continue in the desktop version see this 
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

djm6
Level 1

Did you even read the question. I don't have online version I have desktop. I just don't want State of MD prepared for my filing only my daughters. How do I get rid of it for MY filing and keep for my daughters!!.

Your answer didn't answer MY question and made no sense. Did you even read my question!!!!!!

Hal_Al
Level 15

See https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/delete-state/00/842290

Alternatively, you can just ignore it. Just don't efile or print it. When in your return and  you click on state, don't click on MD.

@djm6 

1)  As long as you started a NEW tax file for your own tax return (i.e. did not start with a daughter's file and edit the daughter's file with your own stuff.) then the MD tax return should be available to use when you get to the state section, but you wouldn't start it, and then it's not a part of your own actual tax return....it's just sitting there "available" if needed.   

2) Now, if you did the Daughters tax returns first, then you probably downloaded MD as your one free state, and when you do get to the state section, you'll need to download and buy NJ forms  (hit the "Get Another State" button if the NJ selection isn't already showing.)  then start and use that for your own tax filing.

3)  IF, the MD forms do show up within your own Tax file  (Go to Forms Mode and see if any MD section is included)....if they are in your tax return, you can delete them.  Make sure you are in the Federal section of your own tax file, then go to the upper left corner, click on "File" then "Remove State Return" from the drop-down menu.  A box will pop up box shows up with either MD, or MD and NJ state tax returns, and you can select the MD one, and delete it there from your tax file.  IF the MD tax software is not listed in that pop-up box, then it is not a part of your tax file.   

Deleting it there only removes it for for the tax file that is open, it does not remove it from any other tax files already prepared, and it does not remove that states' software from your computer either.

Remove_State_desktop.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
djm6
Level 1

Great answer. Worked perfectly. Gone from my return and still in my daughters. Simple and quick. Thanks for great answer!!!!!!!!

djm6
Level 1

The only problem with this is Od still have to go in to MD return and reclass all income as non-MD otherwise it shows tax due and NJ is reduced cause they give u credit for taxes paid to others states. No worries I was able to remove it as other poster noted from my return and kept on my daughter. Thanks 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies