Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aideth75

My California state taxes say pending. When will they be e-filed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

California has not started accepting returns yet.  As soon as they do, in the next few weeks, the returns will move from Pending to either Accepted or Rejected.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Why don't you tell us with more particularity when California will start processing returns? You did take money from me already for this return. You sold me a California return. Why can't you do more than tell me a vague story?

HB88
Level 5

Agree, it would be nice to know more concrete dates. Federal already accepted my return even though i filed before 2/12/21 and State is still pending. Either problem with state or how Turbotax is sending the data to the state

When a return says pending, that means TurboTax has submitted, but the state has not yet accepted it.  Tax filing opened on a Friday, followed by a three-day holiday.  Sometimes state returns will stay in pending for several days or even longer.

Just keep checking until you see that the state has accepted it.  

The California tax filing and tax payment deadline is April 15, 2021.

HB88
Level 5

Mary,

The problem is i can file today and it will be accepted within hours, so the pending issues is affecting most of us who filed early and didn't get the latest software updates fixing errors likely on the CA forms.

It would be nice if Turbotax took this issue more seriously

Agreed! This has never been an issue before.

mike999
Returning Member

Looks like It is a bug on turbotax side, returns are getting rejected at mass scale.

froushan

This doesn't make sense! My California return says "Pending" while my federal return was accepted on February 11.  I didn't have this problem in previous years. I contacted the California FTB and was told they don't have my return. The hold up must be at the Turbotax end.

HB88
Level 5

Update:

As some of you know I received the same generic response from Jeremy.

That did not sit well with me so I sent a response and included the CEO and VP again.

This time the response was for more personal and not a canned message.

Here is what I can tell all of you in the same boat as myself.

Turbotax is working on proper instructions and will have something to us by the end of the week. Now not everyone will have the same response as there is a million different things which can be wrong but they are working on it and we just have to be patient.

Did they take accountability and apologize, No, and I made it clear to them the lack of clear communication was a big problem. But rest assured they are well aware of it and have a mitigation plan in place.

Turbotax has had a software glitch causing our Caiifornia returns to NEVER be sent to the state !  You should have received an email or text telling you that your California return was rejected (meaning, Turbotax rejected it, NOT Calif).  If you never receive your "rejection" from Turbotax, you might want to do what another user did, which is go to the California Franchise Tax board website directly and do  your California return there and file it for free.  You would just need to follow their instructions to create either a Basic Account or a MyFTB account. Keep in mind you must have already completed your Federal return before you can begin your State return on the Calif FTB website.  I almost was going to do that, but since I was able to re-file my return through TurboTax, I didn't need to go through the State's website.    But yes, lots of us agree that Turbotax should refund the $20 they charged us for e-filing to the state.  It's the least they can do to redeem themselves for what we had to go through.  Blessings.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies