Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

B RadJ
Returning Member

Move Date Won't Edit

I inadvertently put the wrong date for a move in my profile section.  I noticed the error doing my CA state return.  I edited my profile (me and my wife) to correct the date, but the date will not change on the state tax form?  After the Capital Gain Loss sheet, the next sheet shows Residency Info which now contains incorrect date of move that can not be edited.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Move Date Won't Edit

Please edit the date on the My Info section as well as in the federal return. That will change it in the state return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Move Date Won't Edit

I have the same problem. Editing this in “My Info” and in the federal returns does not work. May be a bug?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Move Date Won't Edit

Not necessarily.  

While entering the information in the My info section of the software generates the state tax returns, you may still need to correct the dates on the state interview section.  Depending upon the state, the questions will be posed differently so it is important to read each question carefully to ensure your return is accurate.

You will need to go through your state interview section again to review the input and make your corrections there.

1. Select State in the black panel on the left hand side of your screen when logged into TurboTax.
  2. This will take you to a screen titled Let's get your state taxes done right.  Click continue on this screen.
  3. You will see the following screen titled Status of your state returns.  Select Edit to the right of the applicable state.

Edit state

@randallreyna63

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Move Date Won't Edit

This still doesn’t work. There is no solution yet. I was on the phone with support for over 3 hours and still never got it resolved. The only solution was to restart my state returns however i cannot do that since I already paid the fees. I don’t know what to do after all this.

Move Date Won't Edit

Christina was able to fix it from turbo tax support!!!

The solution was to go to tools and delete the CA NR form and another form that contains the move in date from the federal returns and then I was able to re-enter the date after redoing the CA state returns.

Thank you!

bkharden
Returning Member

Move Date Won't Edit

I did not notice until after I filed. This is no doubt a bug. I expected Turbotax to do the right calculations but it did not. Now I am in big trouble. I originally put down the date when I listed my fully staged home (not livable contractually) home for sale and when my company finally switched my pay info. I used that date because the rules are subjective for CA and the FTB is very aggressive about moving in and out of CA.  I know from experience. Later, I thought that that I should stand up to aggressive because I am right and I moved no question when I moved. So, I went back to My Info and changed the date to when I moved my family and all my stuff and cars, and forwarded mail (two months earlier). I updated the My Info to align to the correct date from my understanding of subjective indicators. When doing CA state, I also used the correct date when I moved out of California. I assumed all my income allocations would be updated with the right date. I filed and did not notice it had the old date in there, even though the Step By Step shows the correct date in both places. That is no question a defect and now I have to re-file and likely get an audit. I thought Turbotax always does the calculations correctly. It did not. I have looked at it and even if I noticed (super big tax return) it will not let you edit. Greyed out. Locked. 

bkharden
Returning Member

Move Date Won't Edit

No. I changed state and my info and yet forms sent had wrong date. I go back and check again, and its entered right. Defect. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies