turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RH_1933
Returning Member

Massachusetts Schedule X and Y for tax year 2020

Software says I can't file my state return because Mass is still working on schedule X & Y. 

"We can't file your return just yet because the government is still working on finishing up certain tax forms..."

When I try to sign up for email updates, I get the error: "Unable to load messageid Invalid number of dom parameter components specified (3) : Required format: dom=[federal/state formsetid];[form id];[form name];[platform];&dom=... for en_US"

The state web site says the schedules are ready. https://www.mass.gov/lists/2020-massachusetts-personal-income-tax-forms-and-instructions

When will Turbo Tax be updated so I can finish my state return for MA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Please see the following link for the specific dates that Massachusetts Schedule X and Y are anticipated to be finalized.

MA form release schedule

Please be aware it is important to wait for the forms to be finalized before filing your tax return. 

This will ensure that your return is prepared correctly following the guidelines issued by MA. 

It will also avoid any potential errors that could potentially delay the processing of your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
RH_1933
Returning Member

Thanks for the quick update!

dnlustig

Would it hurt so much to put 02/04/2021 as the date???

Rich68
Returning Member

I am having the same problem. Turbo Tax is not allowing me to include Schedule X, and this is preventing me from legitimately excluding IRA distributions to qualified charities from taxable income. I am spending hours on the phone with them and getting nowhere. For my first call, their reply only dealt with itemized deductions. For my second, after 1 1/2 hours Kaitlin finally told me that there was nothing they could do and that I would have to print Schedule X myself and file by paper!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Schedule X & Y is available and working for others. MA other income and deductions should not be a problem for you. You were on the phone for some time, I imagine you did all the technical stuff. If you are using online, it may be worth switching to the desktop version.

Try this:

1. Delete the state form:
  2. Log out of your return
  3. Try one or more of the following:
  4. Log back into your return.
  5. Enter the state form again.

If that fails, I would download the software and download the tax return, If you have not paid, you will need to pay to download. If you have already paid, contact customer service for a switch in service.

@Rich68

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Rich68
Returning Member

I only use Chrome and I already was told yesterday to do 1, 2, 4, and 5, which I did, and nothing changed. Schedule X doesn't even come up in a search. This seems to me like a very unprofessional and inconsiderate way to support a long-term customer.

Rich68
Returning Member

I just started over on a brand-new device, with the same result. TT is not allowing me to use Massachusetts Schedule X to exclude qualified charitable donations from my IRA gross income., and a search fails to even indicate that that Schedule is in the system. Given their apparent lack of concern for this problem with their online application, I'm not sure I can trust the downloaded version. And their failure to make customer support available by email is also very problematic. Their telephone representatives are very nice but know nothing about the software.

Rich68
Returning Member

Yes, it is available from Massachusetts, but it is not available to me in the online version of Turbo Tax

Rich68
Returning Member

Finally, problem solved. TurboTax does not in fact have the full version of Massachusetts Schedule X, so if you made Qualified Charitable Donations through your IRA distribution, TT will not take that into account for Massachusetts and you will owe more in taxes than you should. TT does properly exclude that on your Federal by specifically asking that question when you enter your 1099-R. For Massachusetts, TT does not. Fortunately, I reached Scott in Idaho and he and I dug into the Forms to locate Massachusetts Schedule X and we discovered that it is not set up properly, because it does not also include the worksheet for Line 2 (see 

https://www.mass.gov/doc/2020-form-1-instructions/download ). Scott showed me how to override to add the necessary information. Thank you Scott! Shame on all the others I dealt with who, as nice as they were, could not help me.

Rich68, Great Info thank you.  I have discovered another issue after filing my MA state return, it appears that the 3 year averaging for Coronavirus related IRA withdrawals does not carryover into MA Schedule X correctly, it takes the full amount and is taxed as such.  Since my return was submitted and accepted yesterday will have to file an amended return to correct this error. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies