Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It wont let me efile my state taxes

Hello, my federal taxes are filed and accepted. However i can not file the state ones, it just gives me the option to print and then the instructions are to e-file. How can i e-file? using which software? can i just mail the money i owe?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

mailing state is free while TT charges to efile state. (except New York)

if TT won't allow you to submit state return there is either a critical problem with the data you entered or a form you need hasn't been approved by the state.    you can mail payment with the return, however, I'll bet you can pay electronically through your state's website.   the state may even allow you to specify a future date when payment will be processed  - even as late as 4/15 or the initial due date of the return.    there will be no charge if the payment comes out of your checking or savings a/c.  there will probably be a fee if the state allows payment using a debit or credit card.  

Thanks for your advice. it seems that i can not efile because of an error that i am not able to fix. can you please assist me with it? 

It says there s an entry i need to fix

"change of city resident status - the amount entered in column a of line 19 new york adjustment worksheet do not agree with the total transferred from the income allocation worksheet to line 19 column a. Above lines should total 0 "

i try to change the amount to 0 but nothing happens.

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Please see IT-360-1-l form and instructions for line 19.

Change of City Resident Status.

Instructions for Form IT-360-1   instructions for line 19 are on page 3

Change of City Resident Status IT-360.1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I filed my federal return using tt  and it has been accepted.  Now trying to file NY state and I keep getting error on screen need to select federal file to continue?

I am having this same problem with filing my Kansas return.

Seems to be a common issue. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with support yesterday and the final solution I got was “mail it in.” Swell.

In NY if efile federal can't mail tax in how can this issue be resolved.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@storm8858 When you try to e-file, does it give you an error?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@CarissaM  - I have the same issue with my Michigan return.  I get the error "To e-file, you must also select the federal return".   My federal return was accepted two weeks ago.  My state taxes weren't accepted because of an error from TT.  I updated TT as instructed in the e-mail I received, ran the review, no errors found, but it won't let me file my state taxes because of the above error.  How do I e-file my state taxes?

i have the same issue with Illinois state taxes.  Federal efile was fine, but went back to do state and it keeps saying i need to select federal also for efiling...which is already done!

E file requires federal return.  I e-filed my federal taxes last weekend  status in TT accepted.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@storm8858 Some TurboTax Desktop customers are unable to submit their state return after previously filing their Federal return.

To ensure that there are not any errors preventing you from e-filing, please choose the Review tab and run a final review on your return.

If you're experiencing the issue above after checking for any errors,  please go here to receive email notifications when any updates related to this issue become available.

You can also view this information in the TurboTax Article below:

Why am I not able to e-file my state return after filing my Federal return?

If you are are using the Online version, I would suggest deleting your State return and then re-entering.  Please see the instructions in the link below:

How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online?

I am using the purchased CD version not the on-line version.  I ran review to the upteenth time and still am not able to efile my NY state return continue to get the need to select federal return.  This appears to be a critical flaw in the software and is preventing me from completing my taxes.

Didn't you see the article posted above?

Please sign up on this new error FAQ

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies