turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wmonie

IP PIN

TurboTax Deluxe allows for a 5 digit IP PIN.  Mine is 6 digit.  How do I overcome this?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

IP PIN

To enter a 6 digit IP PIN

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info
  • On Identity Protection PIN, click the start button

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

Wileyc-73

IP PIN

The IP PIN number issued to me has 6-digits. I need to change the IP PIN number to 5-digits to complete the

2019 federal income ta return.

KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

IP PIN

Please follow the directions below to remove the option to enter a six-digit IP PIn:

1. Open your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for IP PIN (don't forget the space) and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. On the Identity Protection PIN screen, answer No to remove your IP PIN option.
  4. Select Continue.

The five-digit number that you have is your self-select pin rather than an (identity protection) IP PIN. Please view this TurboTax FAQ for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
najone

IP PIN

My IP PIN is 6 digits    Turbo can only put 5 digits only  therefore my e-file keeps getting rejected.   Anyone please help with reply here or call me direct [phone number removed]

IP PIN

@najone wrote:

My IP PIN is 6 digits    Turbo can only put 5 digits only  therefore my e-file keeps getting rejected.   Anyone please help with reply here or call me direct [phone number removed]

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

Rob8400

IP PIN

This does not work.  I followed this advice and entered my 6 digit PIN. But when I get to the File Return section and am asked for Sign Your 2020 Return, it defaults to 5 numbers and I can not enter more than 5 numbers.  My PIN is 6 numbers. This is a problem with Turbotax software that has not been solved. Unacceptable.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

IP PIN

The federal pin is 5 digits for when you sign your return. Do not use the IP PIN there.

@Rob8400

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

IP PIN

@Rob8400 wrote:

This does not work.  I followed this advice and entered my 6 digit PIN. But when I get to the File Return section and am asked for Sign Your 2020 Return, it defaults to 5 numbers and I can not enter more than 5 numbers.  My PIN is 6 numbers. This is a problem with Turbotax software that has not been solved. Unacceptable.

The 6 digit Identity Protection PIN and the 5 digit self-selected PIN for e-filing are totally separate PIN's.  You only need to enter the IP PIN and the 2019 AGI to e-file the 2020 tax return.  You can enter the 5 digit self-selected PIN number with any number you wish.

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

Rob8400

IP PIN

That did finally work. But when I used Turbotax for Home and Business there was never any indication I had to obtain the 6 digit IP PIN for myself and my wife from the IRS.  So I followed the filing instructions and entered a random 5 digit pin and 2019 AGI.  My returns were rejected many times. When I called Turbotax phone help, I was told it was an IRS problem and the tech support suggested I should mail my returns.   When I finally got the 6 digit IP PINs from the IRS, and entered them plus the random 5 digit pins and AGI, my Federal return was accepted. Still waiting to hear from Massachusetts about the state returns.  Isn't this something the software needs to address?  Thanks for your help and in the future I will go online for help rather the phone tech support which misled me.  BTW I know the IRS changed their regs several times, but I have been using Turbotax  for Home and Business for twenty years and have never before encountered a problem like this.  

IP PIN

This was the best and most accurate advice I found.  And, it worked.  Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies