turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

samitch2

I live in NC. I had a PT job in NC in 2020. My FT job is in VA. While completing the Federal portion, where it says State Taxes, boxes 15-17, do i put both states in

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I live in NC. I had a PT job in NC in 2020. My FT job is in VA. While completing the Federal portion, where it says State Taxes, boxes 15-17, do i put both states in

Yes, you will need to enter both states in exactly as they are listed on your W-2 Form.  There is an option to Add State assuming your W-2 form has more than one state listed.

To enter or edit your W-2 information, go to the Federal section of the program. 

1. Select Income & Expenses
  2. Select Job (W-2)
  3. Click Edit/Add to the right of the Job (W-2) 
  4. Proceed to enter your information as prompted
  5. When you get to the state input section in boxes 15-17, you will select Add a state

Add state

To ensure your return is calculated correctly, you will need to confirm a few items: 

In the "My Info" section of TurboTax, confirm that you have entered the correct state information: 

1. Click "Edit" to the right of your name 
  2. Confirm your input under #2 "Tell us the state(s) you lived in" 
  3. Do the same for your spouse if you are married filing jointly. 
  4. Go back to the personal information section, and verify the mailing address and "Other state income" section.  Be sure to answer yes to the question asking "Did you make money in any other states?". 

This will then allow you to enter your state returns for the nonresident state as well as the resident state. 

Please note the following as it will affect the calculations: 

When you are preparing more than one state return, make sure you prepare the Nonresident Virginia state tax return first.   Be sure to answer the questions correctly to ensure only income sourced to VA is reported.

Once you have entered all of the nonresident state information, then start your resident North Carolina return.  This will ensure you receive any credits for taxes on income which may have been taxed in both states. 

Proceed through the screens in your North Carolina return until you see credits and taxes. You should see Taxes Paid to Another State under the Credit for Taxes paid.   You can edit your information here if needed but the taxes paid to the other state should be listed in this section.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1)  Your W-2 form the NC job should only have NC and the NC income and withholding in boxes 15-to-17.  It should not have anything to do with VA in it ...UNless...for THAT part-time job, you physically went into VA to work for them.

Your VA job W-2 will likely only have VA stuff in boxes 15-to-17 too.   But you use whatever they show on the W-2 form they send you...you don't put in any NC stuff on that VA W-2 yourself if they don't.   The only reason they might have NC shown is if they sent you physically to NC to work occasionally as part of your job.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies