turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

em2hurley

I filed my state return, and received a small refund, but now the state of michigan is telling me I owe them money with no explanation? How can I find out why?

all the reason says is....
The additional Michigan income tax being billed is based on information from the IRS regarding adjustments/unreported income that affects your michigan return.  Information provided under the authority of IRC sec. 6103 (D)
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I filed my state return, and received a small refund, but now the state of michigan is telling me I owe them money with no explanation? How can I find out why?

Call them and ask if the notice is not clear on what income was not reported on the MI return that was on the federal return. Only they can explain their own notice. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Before calling, look more closely at the notice. There's usually an attachment that shows line by line what was changed.

"based on information from the IRS regarding adjustments/unreported income"  usually means you failed to report a tax document that the IRS received.  Common omissions are form 1099-B (stock and mutual fund sales) or 1099-Misc (side gig income)

Unless you can show the IRS that they made an error, you're not going to beat this one, so just pay it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies