Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ewitt1222

I don't understand why I can't get a refund on my first time buyer MCC

I have my taxes filled out but want to understand before I file
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

The Mortgage Interest Credit for a Mortgage Credit Certificate is a so-called non-refundable credit. That means the credit will help lower your tax liability to $0, but anything left over will be carried over to next year instead of being added to your refund.

Look for Form 8396 Mortgage Interest Credit in your tax return. That shows the calculation for your mortgage interest credit. Line 9 shows the amount of credit being used on your tax return. Line 17 shows the credit carried forward to next year.

To enter a mortgage credit certificate in TurboTax:

• Click on Federal
  • Then Deductions & Credits
  • Scroll down to Your Home. Click Show more
  • Start Mortgage Interest Credit Certificate

The MCC program helps lowerincome families afford homes. The program gives a dollarfordollar tax credit for a portion of mortgage interest paid per year, up to $2,000.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ewitt1222

I think I’m reading this MCC wrong.  Even tho I was unemployed in 2019 @ 2020 I still paid my mortgage which includes my mtg insurance.  It said somewhere in the turbo tax that I could only claim $2000 per year. Since I did pay my mtg interest why can’t I receive what is owed me for 2019 & 2020”? 
i know I had a forbearance for part of 2020. So why can I not get the money for those two years.  I really would like to get the MCC for those two years.  Please advise

Thanks for your help with this matter

Erich Wittwer

Hello, when I enter my MCC, my refund increases by $2000. I understand that the MCC is non-refundable so I'm confused why my refund is increasing. I don't want to file and get an incorrect refund then get audited or wind up owing the money back to the IRS. Any idea why my refund is increasing when I add the MCC?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Yes.  The credit is an additional deduction that lowers the taxes on your return.  That is what it is supposed to do when you enter the credit.  It says it is a non-refundable credit which means that A nonrefundable credit essentially means that the credit can't be used to increase your tax refund or to create a tax refund when you wouldn't have already had one. In other words, your savings cannot exceed the amount of tax you owe.

With that being said, the amount of refund is effected by the credit.  Your refund would not be affected if the credit reduced your taxes to $0. 

For example, if your taxes on the return is $1,000 but your credit is $2,000 then you would only be allowed $1,000 credit and the other $1,000 would be non-refundable.  So, your taxes must be more than $2,000 without the credit.

TurboTax translates this information accurately most time.  I suggest entering the credit then run the error check.  If you pass the error check then you are okay.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies