turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marshai83

I am trying to file my taxes. I lived/worked in Tennessee until September of 2019. My W2 is for my job in Tennessee. I relocated to Kentucky. Which state am I required to file with?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I am trying to file my taxes. I lived/worked in Tennessee until September of 2019. My W2 is for my job in Tennessee. I relocated to Kentucky. Which state am I required to file with?

You left out mentioning if you worked in KY or TN after you moved there in 2019.  Did you work in KY or TN from Sept to end of 2019?  If so, then you need to file a return for a partial year of residence in KY,  If you did not work in KY after moving there, then you have no income sourced in KY to file a KY return for.  And TN has no state income tax.  If you have been working in KY in 2020, then you will prepare and file a KY return for 2020 when the 2020 tax season begins in early 2021.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

We are missing some information from you. When you moved to KY, did you continue to work somewhere?  Did you work at the old job in TN but live in KY?  What did you do in 2020---have you lived/worked in KY or in TN?  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

You need to file a part year resident  KY return.  You will report all your income received, after the move, regardless of where earned.

You need to ask your employer to start withholding KY tax.  If he is unable or unwilling to do so, you should consider making estimated tax payments to KY.

TN does not have a regular income tax. Tennessee does have a state income tax on interest and dividend income from investments. You only  need to file a TN return if you have  taxable interest and dividend income in excess of $1,250/person ($2,500 for married filing jointly).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies