Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

how to get free state download from purchased cd?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

First, verify that the TurboTax CD product you purchased comes with a free state download. There are versions for sale that do not include a free state download.

• Note: There is a fee to e-file your state. State e-filing is not included in your state download.

There's 2 ways to download your TurboTax State program.

Through your TurboTax CD/Download software

This works for state programs you purchased as well as the free state download that comes with certain software packages:

1. With your return open in TurboTax, choose Download State from the Online menu near the top.
  2. Save your return when prompted.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to purchase (if necessary), download, and install your state.
  4. Repeat for additional state programs. When you finish with your federal return and move on to the State tab, you'll see the state(s) you installed.

From your TurboTax Account

Follow the directions in this article to download and install the software you purchased at TurboTax.com. After installing the state program, you'll see the state(s) on the State tab when you open your return in TurboTax.

Related Information:

Source: TurboTax FAQ

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It shows the Windows Basic version on your post.  Basic does not come with a free state program download.  And Deluxe comes 2 ways, deluxe with a free state and Deluxe without state for states that don't have an income tax.

Your box or invoice either says....

Federal+Efile or

Federal+Efile+State

I purchased a 2021 tax year deluxe program that comes with a free state on a windows 10, pretty new computer.  It's an HP with a touch screen but I am just using the Mouse.  When I go to load it the state forms, I know it's too early, I sometimes get a blank box and other times get a box that has a continue button.  Both freeze.  The top right window has a red x in it instead of the usual black X. 

I think I may get to the screen with continue when the screen is set for 100% scale.  I have vision issues and so normally keep it at 125%.  I have spent so long on this problem and I really really hope you are not going to say the answer is to reload the software because the putting in of the code was a challenge.  Help!!  This is soo bad.

Just keep waiting.  The state downloads aren't ready yet.

Thank you for responding.  I know but in years previous, you got to a screen where you could provide your email and they would notify you when you could download.  Now it just hangs on either a blank screen or you get a screen with a continue button and it's not active.  Red x on upper right is not normal. 

this is helpful but the program should not just hang because the forms are not available.  It should let you sign up for an email notification of when they will be-or just say the forms are not available.  A red x in the upper right hand corner of the window is a bug.  Hopefully not just on my computer.  Needs to be fixed.  SInce you are level 15, maybe you know who to send this to

I contacted the support line and lovely lady told me they've changed the get state screen this year and it will take you no further.  Not sure why that was done, with no information on the screen-just a blank window-but I am going to wait until the second week of January to see if the fix is in that download.  I was able to get a reasonable estimate of what 2021 taxes will be so mission accomplished but turbotax should be a whole lot less buggy at this point and needs better communication within the program, not an army of volunteers.

Happy new year

Go to the REVIEW tab ... any forms in your return that are not ready will be listed and the option for an email alert is at the bottom of the screen. review tab email .jpg

@5flavors 

Even though the downloaded program comes out sometime in November each year it is only a beta version which will not be fully operational until  late January at the earliest (much later for some forms and the state programs).  Efiling will not be open until late January at best so do not be in a rush to file.

Same with the Online version which becomes functional sometime in December. 

http://taxpreparationsoftware.com/

If you are trying to do some 2021 tax planning then use the fully operational 2020 downloaded version instead. 

This is my mini version of  a tutorial  that should be in the downloaded program: 

What is Forms Mode?

Forms Mode lets you view and make changes to your tax forms "behind the scenes."

If you're adventurous, you can even prepare your return in Forms Mode, but we don't recommend it. You may miss obscure credits and deductions you qualify for, and you may forget to report things that will come back and haunt you later.

Forms Mode is exclusively available in the TurboTax CD/Download software. It is not available in TurboTax Online.

Related Information:

If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can ….

• >>>In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy
  • 1.  Open your return in TurboTax. 
  • 2.  From the File menu, choose Save As. 
  • 3.  Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name). 
  • 4. Click  Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original. 
  •  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900642-how-to-make-a-test-copy-of-your-return

• >>  use the WHAT IF tool: 
  • - Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view) 
  • - Click on the Open Form Icon 
  • - In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form 
  • - You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form 
  • - To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1

Once you have filed successfully … you can shut off the auto updater function and then save the return &  .taxfile.

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  2. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
    • Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  4. Click Save and then close TurboTax.
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

*** Other clues to the downloaded program ***

In the forms mode ... double click  or right click on a box on a form to data source it ... sadly it doesn't work on all boxes. 

What's the meaning of all the different colors in Forms Mode?

When you look at an onscreen tax form using Forms Mode, you might wonder why one figure is blue and the one next to it is red or black.

These colors indicate the source of that data.

Color

Meaning

Blue

You entered this data, either in the interview or Forms Mode.

Black

The program entered this data or calculated this amount.

Red

This data has either been overridden or is invalid (for example, a ZIP code that doesn't exist).

Red italics

You marked this amount as estimated.

Black italics

The program calculated this amount from an amount you marked as estimated.

Purple

This information has supporting details.

Aquamarine

This data was transferred over from last year.

Green

This data was imported from Quicken or QuickBooks.

Yellow fields (Windows)

Yellow fields allow user input. Anything you enter here shows up in blue.

I appreciate you trying but I went thru the smart review and it just listed all the missing items.  Did not  come to this screen.  Are you using CD download for windows??  Since I could not download my state, it would not know what state I was missing e,g, there is no subdirectory for my state until the forms directory for this years TT.  I am going to let this site and hope others have the same issue and Intuit fixes.  It's going to generate a lot of support calls for them so hopefully they will resolve in the  next release.

Happy New Year.

I started with free online turbo tax after moving to Nevada , and realized I need to file state of California for two months in 2022.  I am disabled and asked my friend to go to Costco like I have done for 15 years and buy the CD I  installed it and realized no state even though I paid the same as I would have in California.  Now it is trying to charge 45.00 for a state?  do I have to drive to California to get my state software?????

thank you can you download it to me for free?

[Name}

you can check for all my prior purchases.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

First, verify that the TurboTax CD product you purchased comes with a free state download. There are versions for sale that do not include a free state download.

• Note: There is a fee to e-file your state. State e-filing is not included in your state download.

There are 2 ways to download your TurboTax State program. For more information on this, please see our Help Article.  This is for Windows, but there are Mac instructions linked at the bottom of the article.  

@marleneygonzalez 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies