Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Horribly confusing message attempting to efile an amended return

As of January 5, 2024, the IRS is now open to e-file amended 2022 returns, as stated here:

https://www.irs.gov/filing/amended-return-frequently -asked-questions

California also accepts online (e-filing) amended 2022 returns, as stated here:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/file/after-you-file/amend-a-return/index.html

However TurboTax did not succeed in doing this. I ran into these problems. After transmitting the returns, it gave me an error message because I had entered a date in January 2024 as the signature date. It required a signature date during calendar year 2023. Of course this is ridiculous. I called support and they suggested putting in 12/31/23, which I did, and transmitted the returns again. I ended up in an inconsistent state where I got a screen confirming that the amended returns were accepted, but also got error message indicating they weren't. I have not received any confirmation emails, so I assume they did not go thru. Not sure what to do.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You can check the status of your amended return here, but allow a few days after filing for it to show up.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I do not believe the returns went through, so I will need to try again to resubmit. It may be that there is some additional delay before TurboTax is ready to e-file amended returns. It is worth waiting to e-file since the alternative is to send hundreds of pages by mail. To clarify the open question:

How can I know definitively whether and when TurboTax will allow e-filing of Federal and/or California amended 2022 returns? The messages I get during the program remain confusing and often contradictory on this point. Obviously repeatedly trying and failing is not a good option, especially if it risks leaving the program's data in an invalid state again.

in the past, TurboTax will not let you amend 2023 return when e-File opens in January  24.

They delay it several weeks.

I doubt it would be different this year.

If amend is not open for 2023, I don't see how you can submit a 2022 amendment either..

If you are seeing a SUBMIT option for 2022 then maybe I'm wrong about that.
IRS will not accept your amendment before Jan 24 at the earliest.

@phraxos 

Unless you provide a pointer to a document or website, I cannot rely on anything you say.

Note that according to the IRS website I referenced above, e-filing for 2022 and 2023 amended returns is currently open as far as the IRS is concerned.

Can anyone point to definitive information about when TurboTax will support e-filing  2022 amended returns?

Please don't waste time with guesses.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

The IRS shuts down electronic filing in November every year in order to prepare for filing of the next year's returns.  It takes them some time.  Until they announce the start of filing dates we do not know when they will start accepting returns.  

This year they will begin on January 29th (here is the IRS announcement).  That date includes the IRS receiving amended tax returns from prior years as well as late returns from prior years.  

So your return has definitely not been filed with the IRS yet but it may have been uploaded by TurboTax to wait until the 29th.  If your filing status says that it has been sent then you may want to wait until the 29th to see if you get an email regarding the acceptance of the return.

@phraxos 

Thanks for this useful pointer to the IRS announcement. It does not explicitly mention amended returns, but perhaps they will also not be accepted until January 29.

If indeed TurboTax received my returns but is holding them until January 29, wouldn't you expect that I'd get an email confirmation from TurboTax stating that? Also, if the returns were only being held and have not yet been accepted, why did TurboTax say "Congratulations! The IRS has accepted this return."

If you are filing an amended return for 2022 or earlier you CANNOT do so thru the TT efile system ... all prior year returns must be mailed.  Only some professional tax pros using professional tax programs can efile prior year returns.  And the 2023 returns have not started processing yet (expected to start 1/29 although the IRS does pull some early for testing purposes) and amended 2023 returns will not be allowed until the end of February at best.  

You said "If you are filing an amended return for 2022 or earlier you CANNOT do so thru the TT efile system". What is your source for this?

There is an article posted by TurboTax entitled "Can I e-file my federal Form 1040-X amended return?"  that says: "Your 2023, 2022, or 2021 federal Form 1040-X amended return may be eligible for electronic filing if the original return was successfully e-filed using TurboTax."

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Our system and capabilities improve each year and there are limitations such as the original filed with TurboTax. We upload returns and the IRS will sometimes take a few, maybe because they are amended, maybe to test some in their system, whatever the IRS wants to do with what we have waiting for them. Once we upload the returns, the IRS decides which returns they are taking when until the official start date. You can check the IRS website regarding your amended return every day but processing time is approximately 20 weeks so please wait patiently.  The IRS alone knows what they are really doing with your return. Please see Check the status of an amended return.

@phraxos 

If TurboTax in fact transmitted my amended return to the IRS, shouldn't I have gotten an email from TurboTax confirming that the e-filing is in progress and awaiting acceptance or rejection by the IRS? (That is what happened in past years, at least for original returns.)

Or, in the unlikely event you don't send such emails for amended returns, does TurboTax at least have internal records showing whether the return was transmitted? If so, could I call support and get them to check the records?

Obvioiusly it is not very practical to wait half a year to know whether the return was properly transmitted by TurboTax, especially since without an acknowledgement email I have no proof I could show the IRS that it was filed on a certain date.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Your return has definitely NOT been transmitted to the IRS.  The IRS cannot accept any electronically filed returns until January 29th.  Not from TurboTax, not from anyone.  So - at best - your return is in line to be transmitted to the IRS on the 29th.  If you do not receive an email from TurboTax at that point telling you that your return has been transmitted to the IRS and then accepted or rejected by them then you should contact support to see what the status of the return is.

@phraxos 

Thanks Robert. I suppose if I have to, I could wait the two weeks until the 29th and see what happens.

However, I think my question still applies. If indeed my return is "in line to be transmitted to the IRS on the 29th", shouldn't I have received a confirmation email from TurboTax stating that it is in progress?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

What is the current status of the e-filing?   Click on File at the top left of the desktop program screen.  Then, click on Electronic Filing >> Check Electronic Filing Status.

As mentioned above, it says "Your 2022 Federal Amended Return: Congratulations! The IRS has accepted this return and you're finished with your taxes." Same for my California return. But I'm not sure this is correct since there were also previously error messages during transmittal and I never got confirmation emails.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies