turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Help NY State: "Part year resident returns where income was received from new jersey sources while a nonresident of new jersey are not eligible for electronic filing". What do I do?

Did I do something wrong with my taxes? The income in question is gambling winnings from NJ.

How do I file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Help NY State: "Part year resident returns where income was received from new jersey sources while a nonresident of new jersey are not eligible for electronic filing". What do I do?

It depends.

If I am understanding your question correctly, it sounds like you are trying to file a nonresident state return for New Jersey.  Is this correct?

If so, are the gambling winnings from the New Jersey lottery?  If so, they would only be taxable if they are $10,000 or more.  If they are from other sources, the $10,000 exemption for lottery winnings would not apply.

Please see the attached for more details on how your net gambling winnings are reported on your return.

Gambling reporting

Also, you should make sure you have a filing requirement in New Jersey.  See the chart below.  If your overall income is below the limits, you may not need to file a nonresident state return.

Filing threshold

If you determine you did have to file a nonresident return and you are still getting a message indicating you cannot e-file, please comment again so we can help you determine what is going on.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have to file a non-resident and a part-year resident return in NJ and turbotax is having me do it via mail. I have already filed my federal and the other part-year resident state tax.

Edit: @Jo I do have to file non-resident and part-year resident in Nj and turbotax is having me do it via mail and check. already filed federal and Ny state.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, because you are in the rare- but not unheard of- situation where you have to file a New Jersey Nonresident and Part-Year resident, you cannot efile with TurboTax. 

@spumeus91

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies