turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

[For NY] Can I deduct unreimbursed business expenses for dependents?

Let’s say I am a non-resident IT-203 filer for New York. I have children who I claim as dependents. They happen to be child actors and are members of SAG/AFTRA. They pay union dues. Can I deduct the union dues as un-reimbursed expenses on IT-196? What if their income is NOT included in the Federal income portion of the IT-203 because although they are dependents, they file separate Federal 1040’s due to having income beyond the federal earned & passive income threshold?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If the dependents earn income then they are the ones to deduct the expenses against that income on their returns  ... it is not deductible  on the parent's return. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If the dependents earn income then they are the ones to deduct the expenses against that income on their returns  ... it is not deductible  on the parent's return. 

So what I get is, because the dependents don’t have income in NY, their income will not be included in the parents’ IT-203 nor would they file their own returns in NY, the dependents’ deductions are a moot point.  

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@CharminRoll wrote:

So what I get is, because the dependents don’t have income in NY, their income will not be included in the parents’ IT-203 nor would they file their own returns in NY, the dependents’ deductions are a moot point.  

That is correct.

In addition to filing their federal tax returns, your children must file a state tax return in the state that they live in, and a nonresident state tax return in any other state that they work in.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies