Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-file state says "you must also select the federal return" (Federal has been received and accepted)

@Joedelta wrote:

Same problem here, California.  Federal has been e-filed and accepted, state won't try.

I guess I can print out 150 pages of paper...

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the problem and sign up for updates - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after-...

E-file state says "you must also select the federal return" (Federal has been received and accepted)

@ Joedelta wrote:  "Same problem here, California. Federal has been e-filed and accepted, state won't try.I guess I can print out 150 pages of paper."

EDITED:  3/15/2021 4:00 PM Pacific

Expected resolution date

I've received word that this issue is supposed to be resolved in an update on March 19, 2021.

The FAQ mentioned by DoninGA at the link above has been revised to reflect that expected resolution date.

I assume you're using desktop software (CD/download).  So on March 19, 2021, download the latest product updates into your program, and try to efile the state return at that time.

Original answer  (prior to edit above) :

If I were you, I'd wait and see if this known problem is resolved in time to efile the state return. Maybe there will be a fix this week or next. You can sign up for notifications at the FAQ link DoninGA provided above.

BTW, even if someone chooses to print and file a state return by mail, they shouldn't have to print out "150 pages."   Most of the pages in a full PDF of the return are extra pages for your records, such as worksheets, summary pages, instructions, etc.   You only have to send the forms your state requires.  Some states do require a copy of the Federal return also be mailed with the state return, but even then it's normally only a few pages.   If you end up filing that way, then go by the Filing Instructions in the PDF and by any instructions on your state tax agency's website.

It is supposedly supposed to be fix in March 19th update.  We shall see.

I have the same problem; I just spoke to "Bobby" at the Turbotax helpdesk. She admitted that this has been a problem, but she didn't know what to do, other than to advise me to send in the state returns by mail. She also said that "you only get a couple of days to e-file State after you e-file Federal", which sounded to me like she didn't really know what she was talking about. And of course then, she made sure I knew that I was going to get a feedback form and I should tell them how "helpful" she was to me..... :(

@hullian wrote:

I have the same problem; I just spoke to "Bobby" at the Turbotax helpdesk. She admitted that this has been a problem, but she didn't know what to do, other than to advise me to send in the state returns by mail. She also said that "you only get a couple of days to e-file State after you e-file Federal", which sounded to me like she didn't really know what she was talking about. And of course then, she made sure I knew that I was going to get a feedback form and I should tell them how "helpful" she was to me..... :(

This is a known problem and will be resolved on 03/19 with a software update - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/payroll-reminders/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return...

Great, thanks! That means I have two days to decide whether to pay Turbotax $25 to pay my state what I owe them, or mail it in for free and have them wait to get the money....hmm....

koshko0r

Did  but still unable to e file 

OFT
Level 2

I've been on the phone with tech support for hours now.  They instructed me to delete the 2020 software and then reinstall it.  Then delete the state return, then start the state return all over again.  Done.  Same error message as before.  Now it's another hour's wait on the phone for support.  Intuit has more glitches than any other developer I can think of.

If you read the thread you would have saved time wasting calling into support.  They can't do anything, it's pending an update scheduled for 3/19 that is "supposed" to fix the issue.

OFT
Level 2

Great... I hope that's true.

2.5 hours of my life wasted. Could have been listening to Kamala whine on about whatever she’s offended by this week. 

Why a monopoly shouldn’t be allowed

Good Afternoon, I am also experiencing this issue.  Also, the link provided gives me an "access denied error" and reads that I do not have permission to view.  

Thanks in advance.

The state efile issue has been resolved.  You need to update your program.  

How to update

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/how-do-i-update-turbotax-cd-download/00/26038

Thank you!  That resolved my problem.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies