Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-file requires federal return

I just got off phone with Intuit support after holding 45 minutes. 

They have zero idea regarding this issue.   rep told me that the Fed and State "Georgia' have to be filed together.   

so not the case,   

Hope they investigate and resolve soon.

@logan5tpa wrote:

I just got off phone with Intuit support after holding 45 minutes. 

They have zero idea regarding this issue.   rep told me that the Fed and State "Georgia' have to be filed together.   

so not the case,   

Hope they investigate and resolve soon.

Sign up for updates on this problem here - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after-...

I have exact issue. 

There is only one Back button

To e-file you much also select the federal return....

I went around so many times, still no luck

Please help!

IWix
Level 3

Same issue as everyone in this thread - called support waited a while then decided to leave my number for a call back.  Support did call back, I explained the situation - had already filed federal and one state (CT) (both have been accepted), but had to wait for the NY form fix.   Now my NY return is prefect, but can't file due to the "must file Federal return" issue.    Support took my information put me on hold for a while and then we were disconnected.   Frustrated.     I filled out the form like everyone else - hoping the issue is fixed soon.     Good luck to us all.

Same issue with Illinois using TurboTax Deluxe desktop.  E-filed my federal return weeks ago and have already received the refund.  Attempted to E-file my Illinois return today and I get the "E-file requires federal return" message with no way to proceed beyond going back and paper filing.  Based on the lack of success others in this thread have had resolving this issue I'll likely go through the hassle of paper filing.  Certainly hope TT fixes this for next year.

turbotaxpic.PNG

@boeagle1 See this TurboTax support FAQ for the problem and to sign up for updates - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after-...

I have the same problem, only with CA and IA state returns.

Filed the federal to make sure it would be accepted, choosing to efile the state returns later in the efiling window.  Federal return was accepted, and the efile window says so, but when I try to efile the state returns I get

To e-file you must also select the federal return.

Click Back to select federal and any other returns you'd like to file.

Only there is no federal return to select any more because it has been accepted.

Using Turbotax Home & Business on Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7

I have the same problem and just no luck getting response

gmvaughn

Colorado state return does the same thin.  I filed a support ticket.  We'll see what happens.

I wasted 2 hours of my life wirh their Customer Support, they told me at the end mail a paper return to the state. I already paid for the e-file and now try to get a refund. So frustrated.

I also paid for the State e-file. TT support on the phone is worthless.

That doesn’t solve the problem And those that get through to support are being told to mail their state return even though they’ve already paid for the e-file. Any idea when there may be a solution?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.  If your return has retirement distributions, you may need to wait a few more days to file your tax return as the program is being updated to address this issue.  

The CARES Act had some provisions for relief on the federal returns but each state has different rules that need to be accounted for.

Retirement distributions under CARES Act

Please see the information in the link below for an update.

Form 8915-E state returns update

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I don't think the issue has anything to do with retirement distributions.  Nobody seems to be complaining about having to check an entry or having a state e-file rejected.  It is simply this:  Turbotax will not allow the state return to be e-filed because Turbotax does not recognize that the federal return has been filed and accepted.  

This is a bug.  This is not something related to needing updated forms.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies