Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bbmm
Returning Member

Dual states (NJ/NY)

Hello:

I live in NJ and work in NY state. Box 17 (state income tax) is left blank/empty for NJ while the same box for NY has an amount, which is the same as the federal amount.  If I enter both states separately on the different lines which is automatically transferred from the federal taxes section which is done first, it appears to double my income.  How do I enter this info so that all my tax info (federal and both states) is correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Dual states (NJ/NY)

You will enter the NY line of your W2.  Box 16 should match your federal box 1 wages, box 17 should be the income tax withheld for NY. 

NJ as your resident state will be taxing you on all income from all sources so the only reason to enter a W2 line for them is if they withheld any taxes.  You do not need to enter a NJ line since they did not withhold anything.  This is typical.

NY will tax you on NY source income.  After entering your federal information you should complete your non-resident NY return next and take note of the taxes paid to NY. 

When you complete your NJ return be sure to visit the credit for taxes paid to another state topic.  NJ will give you a credit for taxes paid to NY on the same income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bbmm
Returning Member

Dual states (NJ/NY)

Thank you for your response! I was able to follow your instructions, however, when I go the topic for credits taxed in other states after doing my NJ taxes, when you say to "take note of taxes I paid to NY", is the amount titled: "Taxes withheld" in my NY tax summary? When I go to "review my numbers" for NY taxes, first is listed the Income section then the Taxes section, with sections for "Starting amount", "NY Income Factor", "Allocated nys tax" "money they gave you back' and "money you already gave them" with state tax withheld as the number listed under this final category.....is the state tax withheld the number you say I should take note of as taxes I paid to NY?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Dual states (NJ/NY)

The allocated NYS tax is the tax actually paid to NY.  That is the number to use in the NJ interview.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies