turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tax19bla417
Returning Member

College student in ND. Residence is in MN. Worked as a TA at college and lived half the year on campus. Paid taxes in both states. How do I file taxes with reciprocity?

There is reciprocity between MN and ND, but I forgot to file the form. I don't know how to answer the following questions: "Enter the amount of North Dakota wage or salary income that is not exempt by the reciprocity agreement with Minnesota". Would it be $0 or my full wages on the W-2?
The other question is "Of the following federal income items, enter the amount attributable to North Dakota". When I put $0 for both questions, it said I wouldn't get any refund but that doesn't make sense because I shouldn't have paid any North Dakota taxes.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

College student in ND. Residence is in MN. Worked as a TA at college and lived half the year on campus. Paid taxes in both states. How do I file taxes with reciprocity?

Your North Dakota taxable income should be $0. You are entitled to a full refund of ND tax withheld under the reciprocal agreement.

To stop future withholding, file Form NDW-R Reciprocity exemption from withholding for qualifying Minnesota and Montana residents wor....

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tax19bla417
Returning Member

Thank you for responding. I tried putting zero in for both questions. When I did that, it came up that my refund is $0. That didn't make sense to me because as you said, I should be entitled to a full refund of ND taxes that were withheld. Am I not supposed to answer zero for both of the reciprocity questions? Thanks for your help.

tax19bla417
Returning Member

Hi. I'm sure you're very busy tonight, but I am still not sure what I should be putting for my answers. Could you please clarify? Do I put zero for both of my questions? If not, how do I know what to put?

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Both of those answers should be $0 because of the reciprocity as you mention.  But you also may need to  make sure the ND taxes withheld on the W2 were properly filled out as well.  If all are true, then please call in this experience to our phone customer support service by using the instructions in the following link: How do I contact TurboTax?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tax19bla417
Returning Member

Thank you for replying. When I put $0 for both questions, it said I will not be refunded. Looking at my W-2, I don't see North Dakota state taxes listed on it. I do see Minnesota state taxes, though. After I missed the deadline to submit my NDW-R form for reciprocity, my paychecks decreased by quite a bit. I am not paid hourly, so it is reasonable to assume that taxes were being withheld from both states after that point. I'm confused why I don't see North Dakota state taxes on my W-2 form and why I don't seem to be getting a refund back from North Dakota.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies