turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cannot see the file by mail option for state return

I e-filed my federal tax return. Now I would like to file my CA state tax by mail.  There is no option to file by mail, only "E-file my state return now" or "Do not e-file my state return now, I'll do it later". I see no option to file by mail.  I cannot do anything after that (only go back).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@czrunner wrote:

I am using Turbotax on a CD, not Turbotax Online, and thus the referenced response is not applicable.  I am not getting the File by Mail option, and with the Turbotax CD there is no payment of fees involved.

Using the desktop editions click on File tab at the top of the desktop program screen.  Click on File a Return.

Choose the File by mail option.  On the following screen select the Do not print my Federal return to file by mail now.  The State return will have the Print my state return to file by mail now selected by default.  Continue.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to switch from e-filing to mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/print-and-file/help/how-do-i-switch-from-e-file-to-file-by-mail-in...

I am using Turbotax on a CD, not Turbotax Online, and thus the referenced response is not applicable.  I am not getting the File by Mail option, and with the Turbotax CD there is no payment of fees involved.

@czrunner wrote:

Using the desktop editions click on File tab at the top of the desktop program screen.  Click on File a Return.

Choose the File by mail option.  On the following screen select the Do not print my Federal return to file by mail now.  The State return will have the Print my state return to file by mail now selected by default.  Continue.

Here's a screen shot.  I efiled Federal and using Don's steps went in to print California.  It knows I already efiled federal.

State Mail.jpg

If you haven't, you should first lookup the federal efile status from inside the program and then save your return so it knows it was efiled.   Go up to FILE - Electronic Filing - Check Electronic Filing Status.  Then go up to FILE - SAVE.  

Thank you.  It worked great for me! I just wish that the options for the federal and state returns filing could be selected directly and independently.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies