turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

California: Proof of medical coverage (form 3895) when on someone else's plan?

There is a new form to fill out to confirm that one had medical coverage (somewhat equivalent to the form 1095-B for federal filings) when covered under the ACA and using the CA "marketplace".

The form reads like it should be filled out by the primary policy holder and simply list whomever else is on that covered under that policy.

However,  am I reading this right? For context, I am on my wife's plan and my understanding is that I would not need to fill out this form, but the turbotax screen is fairly confusing.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Here is a link to the actual form:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2020/2020-3895.pdf

If you use TurboTax to complete your California return and tell it that you had health insurance all year, Form 3895 will not be filed with your California return.  The form is simiilar to federal Form 8962 which is used to determine the premium tax credit for people who purchase medical insurance through the marketplace.  If you have form 1095-A and enter it in the federal return, the information will flow to CA Form 3895.

There is no longer a federal penalty for not having health insurance, but California does impose a penalty in some cases. 

California Health Penalty

Pazca5

Input Forms into turbo tax, 1095A and 3895.  Column c on 3895 is different, much lower, and changes state refund to 20,000.  This is wrong?  What am I doing wrong?  Or is the state form wrong in their numbers?  Should both forms have the same numbers for columns a, b and c?

I input my 1095-A, but the info didn't flow to Form 3895.  When I input all the 3895 info, it keeps saying there are errors I need to fix, but errors aren't indicated.  Emptied cookies/cache, restarted computer, tried deleting form and re-inputting, still getting the same error.  TT won't let me submit the form, or let me ignore the form (i.e., file without it).  Appreciate any ideas!!

dawn4cwc

I’m getting the same errors on 2nd 3895 form

Surfun

Turbo Tax is showing the amounts in column C on the 3895 State form, the same as the 1095-A.  They are not the same on my forms.  If I change 3895 in the state on Turbo Tax it shows a 8,000 tax credit (refund)  this is not correct.  Do I leave the numbers that turbo tax auto fills in the state form 3895 (which they just duplicate from 1095-A) so I do not show this wrong refund?

For those getting an unexplained error, I was able to correct it by directly typing in all the info instead of copy/pasting.  Weird bug, but it worked!!

sam125

I have the same issue as @amyvest (edit: @Pazca5 ) -- column c of 3895 is much lower than that of 1095-a. How was your issue resolved? Much obliged!

@sam125 1095-A is the federal form, 3895 is the CA form, so the columns should be different depending on the tax credit from fed or state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies