turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Being asked to check the entry for Form MO-A TP-Kansas/St Louis Refund. Where do I check to see if this is applicable to me, and if so, where do I get the amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Being asked to check the entry for Form MO-A TP-Kansas/St Louis Refund. Where do I check to see if this is applicable to me, and if so, where do I get the amount?

This would have been entered on a 1099-G.  Look under  Wages & Income Other Common Income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I got this as well, when attempting to file my 2019 MO-A Form with TurboTax Online.

The State Income Tax Refund Smart Worksheet screen showed zeros for "Total State and Local Refunds from 2018" and "Remaining State and Local Refunds from 2018", so I entered a zero in "Minus any Refund from 2018 Kansas City and/or St. Louis".

I think TurboTax Online just doesn't handle local taxes as elegantly as it could, and the programmers missed this.

This has to be a bug in the TurboTax software.  I've checked and rechecked all the input values, and the error keeps popping up.  Same problem as the other two have reported, what is the resolution TurboTax???

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, the issue has now been resolved. Please follow these steps:

• Before you can e-file, you will need to delete the Arizona Form 140PY from your return to get the form to recalculate correctly.
  • Please see the following link for the steps to remove this form from your return.

How to Delete 

Thank you for your feedback and offer to assist.

I'm being asked for this as well on my 2021 return.  I am not sure why as I received the amount that it is asking me to double-check.  Please advise.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

First, I guess you saw this in the Missouri State Review? If so, can you continue past it or if you do the Review again, does it flag it again?

Second, were you told what line on form MO-A this message is referring to? There are many adjustments on form MO-A.

What is the amount that you say that you received? I don't mean the number, I mean the description.

Fourth, do you live in either St. Louis or Kansas City (or pay taxes to either one)?

@Jcallicotte

1) Correct, and it does flag it again.

2) SS.jpg

3) It is a refund from the city of KC for earnings tax.

4) I don't live or work in KC.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Do you have a 1099-G, showing a refund of tax from anyone? And are you using the CD/download software?

Yes, a 1099G from the city of KC.  I am using  the CD version of the software.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

OK. I am confused. You say that you got a 1099-G, that was for a Kansas City tax refund, and you are also saying that you weren't supposed to get that refund?

No, I'm saying when I do the Missouri check in the software it comes back and says "TP - Kansas/St. Louis Refund should not exceed the prior state and local tax refund reported as taxable on your federal return."  When I put the refund in while doing the federal return it said that it wasn't taxable.

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

If the amount that was taxable on your federal return was $0, then the Kansas/St. Louis Refund should not be more than $0. 

This particular message refers a taxable refund from St Louis. If your refund was taxable and included in your federal income, the amount of the refund would be subtracted from your state income. Since it was not taxable, the subtraction is $0. 

I talked to the State of Missouri tax person, and he said that if I took the standard deduction last year (which I did) then there's nothing to subtract.  I just put in zero in TT, and it submitted fine.  I think it's a bug in the software.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

"When I put the refund in while doing the federal return it said that it wasn't taxable."

As Julie and the State of Missouri person said, yes, that 1099-G is not taxable.

"TP - Kansas/St. Louis Refund should not exceed the prior state and local tax refund reported as taxable on your federal return."

I don't know what is triggering this message, but entering 0 (zero) is the right answer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies