turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Living in NY and working in NJ. How do I file the taxes for NJ, do I get the whole state income tax refund for NJ?

In other wage adjustments W-2. I am having an issue to input my gross income for the job I worked for in NJ. I input the value 0 because I have no other wages besides the final wages given, and they're all the same for NY and NJ 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
CathyB

Living in NY and working in NJ. How do I file the taxes for NJ, do I get the whole state income tax refund for NJ?

Because you live in NY and work in NJ, you will file a nonresident return for NJ and resident return in NY. When you get to the State section of the program be sure to start the nonresident return first (NJ), and resident return last (NY). Instructions for preparing a nonresident state return are provided below. 

The state income tax you paid to NJ will be applied as a credit to your NY on that same income. If you are due a refund from NJ, the program will calculate that for you and it will appear on the refund meter.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302052

But what do I have to type in the other wage adjustments for the w2 in the state section?
Should I just click next and ignore that section? Since I earned all that money for that employer in nj

And I also get NJ income tax 0
and no credit. IS that fine?
DianeW
Expert Alumni

@impromptu97 On the NY return all worldwide income is included and taxed, then they allow a credit for taxes paid to NJ (another state on the same income).  Do the NJ return by selecting a status of Nonresident.  Include the wages on the NJ return that are earned from working there, do not reduce the NJ income. This return must be completed first so that NY knows the amount of the credit for taxes paid to another state on the same income.  NY doesn't want you to pay tax on the income twice.
heidichip

Live in NYC but work in NJ and prepared the NY return first.  It appears that the taxes paid to NJ are not flowing to the NY return as a credit.  How do I fix this now that I prepared one return before the other return.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You can try 2 things.

Go over your New Jersey return again.  This may allow you pull the New York information in. 

1. Go to the state interview section.
  2. Select New Jersey
  3. Select Go Over return again

Or your other option is to delete New Jersey and then add it again.  This may pull the other state credit back into your resident return since your New York nonresident return will already be there.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
chlwls808

I live in NY and work in NJ. I'm filing return as non-resident for NJ. 

I have some crypto gains that I am reporting. In NJ, this is considered as Disposition of Property and automatically calculated my P/L. Do I continue to file or omit as I live in NY?

DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

New York (NY) does not have a reciprocal agreement with any state. Therefore your wages would have to be reported on the New Jersey (NJ) and then a credit for taxes paid to another state would be used on the NY return. Your resident state will not tax you twice on the same income.  The credit is limited to what the actual tax liability is in the foreign state or the tax your resident state would actually charge whichever is less.

The crypto gains should be on the NY return only as your resident state. You should not pay tax in NJ for the crypto transactions. When in your NJ return you should be able to make the adjustment for income that should not be taxed as a nonresident.

TDH19

So I'm still a bit confused:

Let's say my total NY tax liability is $5k. My NJ employer took out $3K and NYS took out $2K. Seems like I'm ok. But now I'm getting a refund of $1K for overpayment from NJ since my employer took out too much (TurboTax).

Does this refund increase my NY liability since I've now only technically paid $4k?

TDH19

So I'm still a bit confused:

Let's say my total NY tax liability is $5k. My NJ employer took out $3K and NYS took out $2K. Seems like I'm ok. But now I'm getting a refund of $1K for overpayment from NJ since my employer took out too much (TurboTax).

Does this refund increase my NY liability since I've now only technically paid $4k?

DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

Before I begin, it's important for you to know that refund or balance due is not exactly part of the equation or the amount of withholding.  The tax liability is what comes into the equation and then a refund or a balance due would result based on whether the withholding covered the tax liability along with the credit for taxes paid to another state.

If your resident state is New York (NY) then all of your income is included (worldwide income) on your resident return.  NY will allow a credit for tax paid to a nonresident state.  Generally, this could offset any missing tax that wasn't paid to them on the same income. Prepare your nonresident state return first, then prepare your resident state return.

If your resident state tax is a higher rate, then all of the tax paid to the nonresident state will be applied.  If the nonresident state tax withholding is at a lower rate than your resident state you will make up the difference when all the calculations are complete. In reverse, if the state withholding on your nonresident state is at a higher rate than your resident state, you do not get the difference refunded unless the withholding was more than you tax liability for that nonresident state.  Your resident state will not refund any money they never received.  The notes below will explain how it works.

The credit for taxes paid to another state on the same income is used on your resident state because they do not want you to pay taxes twice on the same income.  As the resident state all worldwide income must be included.

The credit for tax paid to another state on the same income will be the lesser of:

1. the tax liability actually charged by the nonresident state, OR
  2. the tax liability that would have been charged by your resident state

Please update here if you need further assistance.

@TDH19

TDH19

Thank you for responding. I think I understand the concept but I'm not sure how to apply that approach using the TurboTax program. My return is actually very simple. One W-2, single, no dependents, standard deduction, NY resident. Am I to just assume that TurboTax did the calculations correctly or should I rerun the return starting with NJ (as NR) first then add NY? I'm not sure which state I added first although I'd assume TurboTax would automatically handle correctly.

DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

Rerun doing the New Jersey (NJ) return first just to be sure TurboTax did all the calculations correct.  Once that is complete you can review your results. TurboTax needs the information from the nonresident state in order to complete the resident state return correctly.

If you are using TurboTax CD/Download you can switch to forms and look for the credit on the NY return. If you are using TurboTax Online you can print/preview your tax return before you file and after you pay.

Once you complete your tax return you have the ability to save a .pdf copy for your files.  Any worksheet that was used in your tax return will be part of that file.  You can use this either of the links to create your .pdf copy and print or review it. 

There is no cause for alarm, if you entered the qualified dividends correctly when entering your 1099-DIV then TurboTax made the correct calculations for your tax return. This was not something that was new this year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies